For this church:
Features and Fittings
In 1871 the oak eagle-shaped lectern was transferred to St. Andrew's from St. Mary's Church, where it had resided since the 17th century. The lectern consists of a carved eagle with semi spread wings, standing on a globe. The eagle is supported by a column and eight curved wooden brackets, resting at the angles of an octagonal base which features carved animals' feet. The base and stand of the lectern was the work of William Knight.
St. Andrew's ornate Caen stone pulpit, with its traceried niches and angels’ heads adorning the spandrels, was a gift from the family of William Knight. Knight also designed the Caen and Mansfield stone font which was donated by Mr W.F. Fox and placed at the South West entrance of the Church.
A portable font, with an alabaster basin and oak pedestal, was donated by the Sunday Afternoon Service members.
In October 1871 a reredos was said be in the process of being decorated by Mr Clements of Parliament Street, Nottingham. It is uncertain as to when it was installed; however, it is known that the reredos contained the Lord's Prayer, the Creed and the Ten Commandments, with the central tablet having an extract from Romans 5. The reredos appears to have been removed at some point no later than 1918.
In 1918 John Dane Player and Margaret Player donated an ornate alabaster reredos, together with a green and white marble pavement, oak panelling, carved clergy stalls and sedilia, as a thanks-offering for a marriage lasting over a quarter of a century. The architect, possibly Heazell and Sons, described the reredos, which is still located in the chancel, as ‘9ft wide by 13ft in height above the Holy Table. It is constructed entirely of English alabaster and contains six large panels divided by moulded frames and the whole is finished with a richly carved canopy. The chief panel shows our Lord in Glory, seated with his hand raised in the act of blessing. Below this is a representation of the Nativity. The remaining panels show other scenes from the life of our Lord: The Baptism, Gethsemane, on the way to Emmaus, and the Resurrection. In each of these panels the sculptor has sought to give a representation based on knowledge of the East rather than a following of mediaeval traditional pictures. This is specially the case with the Nativity, and the Resurrection.’
Following the erection of the alabaster reredos, John Dane Player and his wife also donated a panelled and carved communion table, designed by Arthur Ernest Heazell, in memory of the Rev Frederick Richard Pyper, formerly Vicar of St. Andrew's.
The screen now dividing the north aisle chapel from the choir originally formed part of the chancel screen gifted by Mr and Mrs J.G. Mellers, in memory of their son Rex who was killed in action in 1915. It is of oak and the design is based on 15th century English screen work; it was made by Bridgeman & Sons of Lichfield under the direction of Heazell & Sons, architects.
The screen between the chapel and the rest of the north aisle was also provided by Mr and Mrs Mellers and installed in 1931.
In February 1967 two 16th-century brass vases were stolen from the church. They were traced to a London antiques shop and found to be ‘very badly battered about’. The vases were returned to Nottingham and restored by the Nottingham artist and craftsman Stan Bullard. Reverend Deaville commented that Stand Bullard ‘[...] took them away on Monday night and in one day did such a magnificent job that they now look better than new’.