For this church:
Nottingham St Mary
Significant Dates in the History of St Mary’s Church
Click on a date to return to the appropriate point in the narrative
1086The Domesday Book records that there was a church in Nottingham.
1103-8The church was in the custody of the monks of Lenton Priory.
1140Nottingham pillaged and set on fire by a raiding army commanded by the Earl of Gloucester contesting King Stephen’s right to the throne. St Mary’s probably destroyed.
1171The town sacked and burned again. A new church begun.
1234St Mary’s granted a vicarage.
1348-9Nottingham struck by the Black Death.
1401Indulgence granted by Pope Boniface IX to all who would visit St Mary’s to pray and contribute to the wondrous, manifold and sumptuous work there proceeding.
1412A riot follows a gathering in the church to appoint the Mayor.
1475The current nave was completed by this date.
c1500Completion of the tower.
1526The tithes, formerly the property of Lenton Priory appropriated by the Crown.
1558Nottingham hit by a great storm. St Mary’s badly damaged.
1598The tithes and patronage of St Mary’s sold to Sir Henry Pierrepont.
1652Gallery built in the church.
1662Introduction of the new Book of Common Prayer following the Restoration of Charles II. The Royal Coat of Arms displayed in all churches.
1726The west front of the church rebuilt in classical style.
1810School established on Barker Gate for the education of poor boys.
1812 The original stone groined roof under the tower replaced by William Stretton in oak and Stucco.
1818End of the south Transept replaced.
1835School for girls established.
1839Nave divided to cope with the numbers of weddings and baptisms.
1841-48Tower found to be unsafe, and major work found to be necessary on the church; the church closed for five years while this took place. The (unpopular) classical west front replaced by a gothic design more like the original.
1864Chancel wall removed, opening up the church.
1921Electric lighting added to the church
1940Choir vestry with associated facilities built.
1941Fire in the south transept roof started by an incendiary bomb.
1975Exterior of the church cleaned, and major restoration carried out on the stonework.
1985-86Further necessary restoration work carried out.