For this church:
First found written reference is from a 1553 church warden’s account of three ‘little bells in the steple [sic]‘ In 1740 there were still three bells, but, by the time of a glebe account in 1764, and Throsby’s visit around 1790, there remained only two bells. Stretton, in 1819, mentions just ‘a low tower with one bell.’ In 1862 a new wooden frame was installed; three bells were recast by Taylors and augmented to four, replacing the ‘three bells and a small bell’ - one of which was cracked. The old bells had diameters of 29, 31 and 33 inches. They probably dated from 19th century. No details of inscriptions and founders have survived. The 1862 tenor weighed 6.3.10 but by 1902 this bell had become damaged and was replaced by a stock bell of 1897 when the ring was augmented from four to five, to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII. The cost, one hundred and thirty pounds, was raised by public subscription.
A treble (now the No. 3 bell), given to make a ring of six, was donated in 1929 by Mrs Elizabeth Stanley. The ring was retuned by Taylors in 1987 and was hung in a low-sided metal frame for eight bells, with metal headstocks and ball bearings, by Fred Pembleton in 1987. This followed a concerted fund-raising effort by the parishioners of St Patrick’s. The wooden structure, installed in 1862, was replaced. One of the 1862 bells was replaced at this time; also the bells were retuned and rehung.
As can be seen from the inscriptions, two further bells (the current Treble and No. 2 bell) have been added more recently to bring the ring up to eight.
Details of the bells:
A wooden notice for bell-ringers, amusing to modern eyes, still hangs in the church tower. It reads:
Fine of 3d is imposed for absence whatever the cause,
unless a proper notice and reasonable cause be given to the captain at the
previous practice meeting, or in the case of illness attended by a doctor.
If a substitute is provided the absentee must pay him. In case of unpunctuality
a fine of 1d is to be paid for the first five minutes, 2d for the second, and
3d for fifteen minutes. The Temple clock to be the guide as to the time provided
it be within five minutes of Railway time.