For this church:
Nuthall St Patrick
AEast window of chancel. Triple lancet with panel tracery. Three lights with late 15th century Crucifixion scene, figures of Our Lord on the Cross flanked by Our Lady and St John. Below are shields containing the arms of the Greys of Codnor, Morley and D’arcy. The window was restored in 1853, retaining much of the original glass.
The inscription in the glass at the base of the window reads:
Truman praises the glass very highly.
In 1819 Stretton describes such a window (Crucifixion and shields) in the east window of the chapel of St Mary, or north aisle before it was removed to its present position in the chancel in 1853. The Nixon memorial window replaced it at the east end of the north aisle. (There is no south aisle.) However, when the east wall and window of the aisle were removed during the 1884 renovations, the Nixon window was resited to its present position at the western end of the north aisle.
BThe eastern most window on the chancel south wall. Late 14th century, restored double lancet with decorated tracery and square reveals. Pevsner says that such windows are very characteristic of village churches in the district, giving a date of c1400. The glass is made up of 19th century, pastel coloured, yellow, blue and pink, diamond shaped panes modern glass.
CThe second chancel window on the south wall. Double lancet and tracery, reveals and date corresponds with window B. The stained glass, similar in date to the shields in the east window, (ie most probably pre-Reformation), are of arms of the Calthrop, Le Gros and Howard families, plus a further shield made up of unidentifiable fragments. The families so represented are not known to be connected with St Patrick’s or Nuthall and it has been speculated that these heraldic shields may have come from Lenton Priory at the time of its dissolution.
Spooner reasonably speculates that pre-1884 there would have been corresponding windows on the north chancel wall, but Stretton makes no mention of such on his visit in 1819 whilst recording all other windows, nor does the wording of the 1884 faculty.
The three south nave windows (D, E and F on the plan) are all double lancet windows with decorated tracery and square reveals.
DThe modern glass in this window, the most easterly of the nave windows, has pleasing full-length representations of St George and of St Martin. The window is dedicated, on the War Memorial plaque below, to those who died in the 1914-18 war.
According to the legend, St Elizabeth of Hungary defied her husband, the king, in taking bread in her apron skirt to feed the poor. When accosted, the bread had changed into roses, so becoming her emblem and accounting for all the flowers seen in the stained glass (delphiniums, iris, harebell, lilies, roses, primroses, asters, pansies, violets, marigolds and anemones).
There is a more orthodox representation of the Virgin and Child, in the second light.
The inscription reads:
The window was designed and installed by F J Eden. London.
Holden described the window as”planned to let in as much light as possible - vivid splashes of colour to give a jewelled effect not commonly found in stained glass work.”
GTower window. An early photograph of the church in 1867, shows the tower without a window. The present window was inserted in 1884. It has a double lancet with flowing tracery and has a hoodmould. The glass, of plain leaded squares in pastel shades of yellow, blue and pink, has now been replaced by a new stained glass window installed in 2003. The new window portrays the arms of the Bramley family in one light, and a farmer sowing seed in the other, representing the parable of the sower and the farming connection of the Bramley family. Behind both lights Broxtowe Hall (now demolished) is depicted. The thicket of brambles, a rebus on the family name, together with the badgers or brocks, a play on the Broxtowe Hall connection, is cleverly incorporated into the glass. The family timber business is commemorated by the two abstract tree patterns which border the window. At the base of the window the inscription is:
The dedication below the window reads:
It is the work of Jonathan Watts.
HWest window in the north aisle. 15th century, triple lancet with panel tracery, gothic-style, The central light depicts the figure of a lady holding an urn. The dedication, in the form of a banner-like scroll, takes up the two outer lights and reads:
The small three sections at the base of the glass have:
The colour of the glass in this window is of fine quality. This window had previously been sited at the eastern end of the north aisle close to the Nixon memorial tablet and the Nixon vault. It was moved to its present position in 1884.
I,J,KThree windows on the north wall of the north aisle. Each a double lancet with square reveals. 19th century, diamond leaded panes of pastel glass yellow, blue and pink. The middle window is blocked on the exterior by the new choir vestry.
Also of interest is a small, low-lying, oblong shaped window, now blocked, which can be seen on the exterior south wall of the chancel, near the east end of the nave, below Window C. Often erroneously termed a leper’s squint, more possibly a sacring-bell window.
Mee, c1900, described the windows of the church “[the] window tracery is what is known as Flowing Decorated, approaching flamboyant.”