For this church:
Nuthall St Patrick
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18. Restored 1838. Re-roofed 1858 and 1884. Restored and vestry and organ chamber added by James Fowler, 1884. Coursed and square rubble and ashlar. Slate gabled and copper lead lean-to roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths, coped gables with kneelers and crosses, crenellated octagonal side wall stack. West tower, nave, north aisle, 2 vestries and organ chamber, chancel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C18, 2 stages, has string course and crenellated parapet. First stage has to west, C13 doorway with hoodmould and mask stops. Above restored double lancet with flowing tracery and hoodmould. Second stage has to north and south 2 chamfered openings. To west, 3 similar stepped openings. To east, similar divided opening. North aisle, 3 bays, has diagonal buttress to west. West end has C15 triple lancet with panel tracery. North side has 2 similar double lancets flanking vestry. Vestry, 1974, has casement and door to west and 2 casements to east. Organ chamber has sill band and 2 diagonal buttresses. North gable has Decorated double lancet with hoodmould and mask stops. Vestry, 1884, lean-to, has a diagonal buttress. North side has doorway. East side has C15 style double lancet with hoodmould. Chancel, late C14, 2 bays, has sill band at east end with gargoyle finials. East end has triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has off-centre buttress flanked by single restored late C14 double lancets with Decorated tracery and square reveals. Nave, C14, 4 bays, has 4 buttresses. South side has 3 double lancets with Decorated tracery and square reveals. South porch, rebuilt C19, has to south, pair of flanking buttresses and depressed moulded arched doorway with hoodmould. Above, C19 lamp with ornate bracket. Interior has 2 stone benches and common rafter roof. C14 inner doorway has cove mouldings with fleurons, shafts, and hoodmould with crowned mask stops. Double chamfered and rebated tower arch, C13, has half-round responds. North arcade, C14, 3 bays, has octagonal piers and double chamfered and rebated arches with beast mask stops. South side has to east, C14 piscina. 2 C20 stained glass windows. Purlin roof with arch braces. North aisle west end has C19 stained glass. East end has C14 tomb recess and C19 archway with C20 traceried screen. North side has blocked central lancet. C19 lean-to roof. Double chamfered and rebated chancel arch, C14, has to its left, blocked squint. Early C15 traceried wooden screen with cresting. North side has to west, recess containing organ in Gothic case, 1871. East end has panelled War Memorial reredos, 1949, and late C15 stained glass window, resited 1853. South side has to east, C14 double piscina. To west, window with 4 late C15 stained glass shields. Purlin roof with arch braces. Memorials include moulded recess containing ashlar table and alabaster effigy to Sir. Robert Cokefield, c.1392. Incised slabs C13 and 1558. Slate wall tablets, 1699 and 1710. Larger slate tablet with apron, 1736, and shield-shaped marble and slate tablet, 1786. 5 marble and slate tablets, C19. 4 late C19 brasses. Marble and alabaster War Memorial tablet c.1918. Fittings include C19 Traceried octagonal pulpit and lectern. Octagonal font, 1886. Benches with shaped ends, 1884. Stalls and desks, 1939. Prayer desks, 1949.
2 headstones. 1671 and c.1670. Dressed stone. That to west has round head. Inscribed ‘E.H. 1671'. That to the east has similar round head with moulded border. Inscribed ‘M.Y. ye 23...’