For this church:
Ordsall All Hallows
Features and Fittings
The altar is made of carved oak, and was given by subscription. It was dedicated on 26 September 1894. At that time the tiles were raised in the sanctuary to form a permanent step, with a border of stone. It was damaged by fire in 1976, but was restored.
The altar rails were given in 1939 in memory of H. A. Longbotham, Esq. Initials ‘H.A.L.’ and ‘M.L.’ are etched in to one side and the date ‘1938’ and initials ‘P.U.’ into the other. They are made of oak with a central opening. A pair of gates was added in 1978 and was given by Mari Tankard in memory of her husband Dr Michael Tankard. The gates were dedicated on the 9th April 1978.
The oak chancel screen probably dates from the late 15th century. It has 'cusped ogee lights, and a dado with similar tracery beneath a frieze of trefoils in circles. The superstructure is coved and rib-vaulted, below a fretted frieze.'
At some point in the past the screen had been moved to the west end of the church but during the 1877 restoration it was moved back to its original position. However, there was some opposition to this so the screen once more returned to the west end. It was reinstated in its rightful place between the nave and the chancel in 1939.
There is a small arch-headed piscina in the south wall of the chancel.
One of two fonts is situated on the left as you enter the south door. It is octagonal and mounted on two stone steps. It stands on a stone plinth. It dates from the 1877 restoration and bears a brass plaque with the inscription:
The capital letters and the date are highlighted in red. The font is covered by a wooden lid. The lid is decorated and has a metal ring attached to the centre. Waddingtons owned Ordsall paper mill.
The second font, which is now the one in use, is of an unusual, inverted ogee, form, and could date from the pre-Reformation period.
It stood for many years outside the south porch and its base can still be seen there. The font now stands in front of the panel of the organ.
Wooden panelled cupboard
A wooden panelled cupboard stands on the west wall to the south of the tower. It has the same maker's mark as the pulpit steps and was made by a local man, Mr Eric Revill. It dates from the 1970s.
The carved pulpit dates from the 1877 restoration, the steps being of a later construction and a rail being added to the memory of George Sturgess who died on 30 January 1970. The pulpit stands to the north side of the entrance to the chancel in front of the rood screen.
The pine pews date from the 1877 restoration and have sloped backs and inverted Y-shape end frames. They are separated by a central aisle.
There is a brass plaque attached to the pillar at the south-east of the nave recording the re-opening of the church after the 1877 refurbishment. The inscription reads:
The lady chapel contains a 17th century Communion table moved there at the 1877 restoration. At that time the location was being used as the vestry. It has heavy baluster legs and a scrolled frieze.
The kneeler in the lady chapel was given 'in sacred memory of LESLIE FOWLER who once worshipped in this Church' and is dated June 25th 1937.