Orston St Mary

Features and Fittings


Oak panel

A fragment of 15th-century traceried oak panel is mounted on the south wall of the chancel at the west end. It was found in 1861 when a lath and plaster partition (used to divide the chancel from the nave) was demolished and is probably part of the medieval rood screen.


There is a plain, pointed piscina in the south wall of the chancel.


Wall paintings

Plant Text

Two fragments of wall painting are visible on the wall above the north arcade. The westernmost fragment depicts a flowering plan, the one on the east shows text in a Blackletter typeface.

Royal Arms

The Royal Arms of King George III dating from 1786 are displayed above the door to the tower.


The pierced traceried panelled oak pulpit was installed in the late 19th century.

North Aisle

Military drum

A drum used at the Battle of Waterloo (18th June, 1815) is mounted on the wall of the north aisle. It was subsequently used by the village band at the annual Orston Friendly Society Club Feast.

Lord's Prayer and Creed Boards

There are two painted boards with Lord's Prayer and Creed, dating from the late 18th century, either side of the east window of the north aisle. 

South Aisle


There is a plain circular bowl of a Transitional style font, which is no longer used but still exists and in need of restoration; it was probably thrown out during the Commonwealth period, when fonts from several adjoining parishes were also degraded. Fortunately for the parish, the leading families have always taken great interest in the fabric of the church - for example, the Lady Roos set up an altar in her day. The Kerchevalls – who held the manor in succession since the Reformation – set up a new font in the church in commemoration of the restoration of monarchy and episcopacy. The present font is said to be the most striking Restoration font in England, though it is debated to be a Stuart copy of the Tudor font at Bottesford - one of the very few fonts set up during that period.

The font at Orston was originally placed against the western pier of the south aisle, and that is the reason why one of the panels is blank. The font is octagonal and highly interesting for its Restoration date. The inscription reads:

Feb. 7.

Of other faces, one is blank, for it was formerly against the wall. The third bears cherubs’ heads, the fourth has elaborate rose-like flower, the fifth a plain conventional rose and the sixth, probably intended as an emblem of Trinity, is a Tudor Rose with three tulips rising out of the centre.

Cherub's head

Cherub's head
and plain rose
Elaborate rose

Tudor rose with
vase of tulips


A piscina with a cinquefoil head is in the south wall of the south aisle.

Commandment boards

There are two painted commandment boards, dating from the late 18th century, either side of the east window of the south aisle.

Commandment boards