For this church:
Oxton St Peter and St Paul
Features and Fittings
Oak. Four coffered panels with applied gothic tracery of a cusped ogee arch with trefoils set in circles in the spandrels; the stiles decorated with reeded mouldings. This was a gift from William Hill Foster of Southport, Lancs. in 1899.
4-panel polyptych with a scrolling leaf pattern on the top rail in red and gold. Each panel is decorated with applied gothic tracery over a painted wood relief of the four apostles, from left to right: John, Luke, Mathew and Mark, each with the appropriate attributes. At the base of the reredos is a gradine, and at each end a riddel bracket of wrought iron. It dates from 1927.
A low screen with two bays to the north and south of the chancel. Each has a plain top rail and a transom decorated with scoop moulding over a wide freeze with lunette decoration and terminates in posts decorated with carved figures. To the north, there is a figure with a long pipe, and to the south a player with a bagpipe, both with coned finials.
The central bays to either side have barley sugar twist spindles over the transom and a lower stage of four coffered panels, each decorated with a carved lozenge design. The outer bays have a narrow panel decorated with a vitruvian scroll above the transom, and a lower stage of a plain wide, coffered panel over three plain narrow, coffered panels, all standing on a plain bottom rail. (1927)
3 sections to left of altar. Coffered plain panels increasing in size from top to bottom, with chamfered sill and a casement moulded top rail. (1927)
Oak. Stall fronts have a plain moulded top rail over four panels of plain gouged blind arcade moulding; below, there is a plain front divided by grooved muntins. The ends have a gouged blind arcade over a sunk panel with a lozenge design. The top rail of the rear stall, south side, has two panels of raised lettering on two lines that describe Jacob’s dream from Genesis, chap 28 v 16-17:
Panels of scalloped fleur de lys moulding. The stall backs are plain with grooved mountings. The carved top rail was removed from the top of the north choir stall to its present position in 1987.
The reredos, oak panelling, choir stalls and screen were erected in memory of Evelyn Kyrle Smith. The family coat of arms appears on the stall front on the north side together with the dedication:
Two coffered wooden doors with brass handles set in north wall below the communion rail.
Laudian style. Oak. Turned balusters with a gouged and domed rail and a chamfered sill. At each end against the walls there is a flat post with a poppy head. C17.
Desk type with flat top and sloping flap with butterfly hinges. Front decorated with egg and dart moulding over a panel with leaf decoration; a panel with a central child’s face with leaf decoration either side. The sides have guilloche moulding. A Gift of Mr Foster.
Coat of arms
Top. Red with gold cross keys, silver sword with gold
On the back a small plate inscribed:
Possibly Jacobean. Much remodelled and repaired in the 1898-1900 restoration, “rendering it almost new”. The panels are decorated with cartouches carved by the Revd H Tibbs, (circa 1860). It has a six-sided drum with a door and a cornice with embattled decoration. The bottom rails of three of the panels have raised lettering:
The stem is of six plain panels on a six-sided plinth and there is a stairway of three treads on the south side.
Standing on a wooden plinth. The bench ends are plain with chamfered edges surmounted with simple poppy heads. The backs have plain panels. The oak box pews have two plain sunk panels with brass circular catches at the end and plain horizontal panelled backs. The top rail is plain.
Two Naval Ensigns
Brass shields below read:
Oak. Double desk type with swivel top and gable ends decorated alternately with American bald eagle and Pennsylvania coat of arms. Baluster stem with cruciform base and plain sill. Made by Advent Hunston, Tideswell, Derby. It was given in 1964.
Carved dedication on one desk face:
Illuminated and embroidered, recording the events of 14th October 1951 concerning Robert Scothorn. Exhibited at Lambeth Palace as a part of the Festival of Britain, 1951. Made by J.N.Dowse, Newark, 1951.
The text reads as follows:
On Sunday, October 14th in the year of the Festival of Britain the Memorial in the church to Robert Scothorn, born Oxton 1659, died Chester County Pennsylvania 1708 was unveiled by one of his descendants; Dr Ralph Lane of Washington, U.S.A. on behalf of many of his compatriots themselves also being Scothorn descendants; one of that number, Miss Florence LeClerq Eisele of Natchez, Mississippi, being, with Dr Lane, the leading inspirers of the researchers which preceded the decision to erect the Memorial. On the same day the State Flag of Pennsylvania, a gift to the church by the State Governor, His Excellency the Hon. John S. Fine, was unveiled by William H. Morris Esq., Embassy Attache for Cultural Affairs, himself a son of Pennsylvania, acting on behalf of His Excellency the United States Ambassador to the Court of St. James, the Rt Hon. Walter Gifford. This flag is to commemorate the strong links between Oxton and the State of Pennsylvania, in that four sons of Oxton, baptised in this church, emigrated to the new colony and assisted in its founding. Thomas Worth, and Samuel Bradshaw sailed in1682, almost certainly with William Penn; in 1683 Thomas Bradshaw followed and these were joined in the following year by Robert Scothorn.
Also on the historic day in 1951 referred to, the Memorial to the Prebends of Oxton was unveiled by Canon C. Leeper, M.A., Chancellor of Southwell Cathedral; the Tablet at the Chancel Arch commemorating the Restoration of the Church in that year was unveiled by the squire of Oxton (whose ancestors came here 400 years before) Rear Admiral R. St. V. Sherbrooke, V.C., D.S.O., R.N., then holding the Naval position of Flag-Officer, Germany and the diplomatic Office of British Naval member of the Allied Control Commission in Western Europe; the Oxton Church Historical Vellum, after its return from the 1951 Festival Exhibition of Ecclesiastical Art in Lambeth Palace was unveiled by Lord Charles Cavendish Bentinck, D.S.O. The Dedications were performed by the Lord Bishop of Southwell (Dr. F.R. Barry, D.S.O.) and these included the New Gate at the SW entrance to God’s Acre; new Staves of Office for the Churchwardens; the restoration work in and upon the Chancel, Nave and Tower; the old Font, identified, reassembled, and restored to the Baptistry after desecration during the Commonwealth Period and subsequent disuse.
The Thanksgiving and Dedication Service was conducted by the Bishop, assisted by the Vicar of this Parish, in the presence of those already named together with the High Sheriff of the County, Major E.H. Spalding, T.D., Miss D.R. Janson, J.P. representing the Lord High Chancellor of England, and members of the Society of Friends, Nottingham. The Church was filled with these and other notable visitors, with members of the community of this village, benefactors from this County and abroad and the faithful worshipping congregation of this Parish Church. The occasion was reported by the Midland Region of the British Broadcasting Corporation and the National Press in this country & America. Booklets of the Service and ceremonies were requested by many citizens of U.S.A., by the State Library of Pennsylvania, the Hall of the Historical Society, Philadelphia, and by the Library of the United States Congress. To ensure the perpetual remembrance of this day, the Lord Bishop assigned to it, by his Episcopal Mandate, the observance year by year of the Dedication of this Church, ten centuries ago, the original date being now unknown. This date October 14th, which is also the anniversary of the birthday of William Penn, therefore, is one worthy to be remembered in the long story of this ancient village and its richest and most treasured possession, the Parish Church, Mother of Christianity in this part of God’s Vineyard.
Located beneath the manuscript is a small brass plaque which reads:
Elsewhere in the church is also a wooden plaque in memory of Robert Scothorn.
Wooden benches with plain ends and poppyheads; backs with boarded back panels.
Pennsylvania State Flag
Presented by the State Governor, Hon J S Fine in 1951. The brass plaque beneath it reads:
Head of a tonsured priest carved in stone.
Wooden with chamfered edges and incised lettering commemorating Service of Thanksgiving for restoration of the church, 1951. St George’s flag, centre base. The text reads as follows:
Free-standing stone pillar piscina.
Stone octagonal bowl and stem on a square pedestal and octagonal plinth. No carving. Circa C13/14. Found and restored after being lost in Civil War 1642-1649.
Oak, with slatted top, swivel handle and leaf springs. Presented by daughter of Neville Sherbrooke. Maker: Stubbs and Son, Hawsworth, Notts. 1936.
Two, framed lists of holders of the Southwell Prebends of Oxton Prima Pars and Secunda Pars.
Two; wood panels painted black with arched tops and gold lettering.
C17 Stone octagonal bowl with ogee moulding, straight octagonal stem and pedestal on a square plinth.
Oak box pews with simple fielded panels on sides and backs of the same; brass door catches.
Shield of George II with extra digit added to read ‘III’. Helm, crest, crown, mantling, supporters, compartment and motto scroll.
Coloured wooden plaque above the south door decorated with a crown, St George and the dragon and flowers