For this church:
Papplewick St James
The churchyard is to the south-west and east of the church building. It is an irregular rectangle with the church positioned hard by the northern boundary. There are burials on all sides except the north.
The gate pillars and boundary wall are Grade 2 listed dated 1795 and the 19th century. They are rubble and ashlar with a moulded plinth. There is a short boundary wall and the wrought iron gates are 20th century.
A chest tomb dated 1695 is also listed south of the south porch and thee headstones early 17th century and 1628 on the south side of the tower. One is inscribed ‘Hear lyeth the body of William Goodie who departed this life ....’
Two headstones at the end of the path are listed. One is inscribed ‘Here lyeth the body of Mary Farnsworth who dyed ye 31th day of December 1701/2 in the 7th year of her age’.
The other one is inscribed ‘Lyeth the body of Richard Nosent who dyed June 23rd 1690’.
A tomb with six legs and surrounded by railings, to Frederick Montagu, lies to the west of the church.
There is a medieval cross slab to the west of the porch (see under 'Archaeology').