For this church:
Papplewick St James
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C14, rebuilt 1795 for Frederick Montagu of Papplewick Hall. Restored 1940. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Gothick Revival style. Moulded plinth, cornice, impost band, ramped crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Most windows are C13 style double lancets with Y tracery. West tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, organ chamber, south porch. West tower, 2 stages, has moulded string course and eaves band with 4 gargoyles. Crenellated pinnacled parapet. Canted stair turret to north-west, with 4 lights. First stage has to south, a chamfered casement. To west, a lancet with hood mould. Second stage has 4 Decorated double lancets with hood moulds and mask stops. Nave and chancel has to north, a diagonal buttress, single corner stack, plain eaves band, and to west, a leaded casement. South side has 5 lancets. East end has a lancet and pedimented coped gable with cross. Blank quatrefoil in pediment. Organ chamber has a mullioned casement to north. South porch has to south, pointed doorway with crocketed ogee hood and tympanum inscribed "FM 1795". Above, ramped pedimented gable with blank quatrefoil. On each side, a similar blank quatrefoil. Interior has stone benches and plaster ceiling. Moulded doorway and above it, re- set C13 carving and C14 finial. Nave and chancel has plaster ceiling, 1985, and panelled dado, 1940. West end has 2 doors with leaded quatrefoil overlights, flanking Arms of George III. Above, chamfered and rebated tower arch, C14. North side has panelled gallery on clustered wooden columns, returned across west end. To north, double staircase with turned newels and stick balusters. Gallery east end has Squire's pew. East end has stained glass window by F. Eginton, 1795, incorporating C15 fragments. South side has central ogee headed recess flanked above by single quatrefoils. South side windows have fragments of C15 stained glass. Fittings include C12 font with broken round bowl with blind arcading on stepped and chamfered base. Font, 1795, with moulded marble bowl on reeded wooden stem. Moulded square walnut pulpit, 1795, with ogee headed panels. C19 and C20 benches, stalls, desk, lectern and altar rail. Early C18 chip-carved chest. Memorials include 2 large marble wall tablets with Arms, flanking pilasters, urns and obelisks, late C18, to Lady Wearg and Charles Montagu. Sarcophagus-shaped wall tablet with Arms and obelisk, late C18, to Lady Colladon. C18 hatchment. Gothick style tablet, 1845. 4 incised cross slabs, C14. Ashlar and bronze War Memorial tablets, 1918 and 1945.
Listing NGR: SK5456851531
Gatepiers and boundary wall, 1795 and late C19. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar. Gothick Revival style. Square gate piers have moulded plinth, plain impost band and billeted cornice. On each side, round headed blank panel and a quatrefoil. Crocketed pinnacle and finial. Late C19 coped boundary wall, 5M long, has square pier with pyramid cap. Late C20 wrought iron overthrow and gates.
Listing NGR: SK5459951500
Chest tomb. 1695. Ashlar. Chest has moulded base and corners. Panels on long sides have ornamented borders and crossed fleur de lys shafts. Ends have panels containing a stag's head and a rosette. Incised lid, mostly illegible, dated 1695.
Listing NGR: SK5456951518
3 headstones. Early C17 and 1628. Dressed stone. Plain stone to left inscribed '....AN: 16-1: W.' Central stone has chamfered corners and raised moulded border. Inscribed 'Hear lyeth the body of William Goodie Who departed this life.....'. That to right has traingular head with relief carving. Inscribed '1628'. Below, lattice panel.
Listing NGR: SK5456651518
2 headstones. 1690 and 1701/2. Dressed stone. That to left has rounded corners. Inscribed 'Here lyeth the body of Mary Farnsworth who dyed ye 31th. (sic) day of Decemb'r 1701/2 in the 7th yeare of her Age.' That to right has square corners. Inscribed '..... Lyeth the body of Richard Nosent who dyed June 23 1690'.
Listing NGR: SK5457251518