St Peter in the Rushes
Monuments and Memorials
Thoroton records a tomb of Henry Stapleton in the church.
|Here lyeth Henry Stapleton, Esq. Patron of this Parish Church of Rempston,
who gave ten Pounds, for ever, to the Use and Help of the Husbandmen
of the same Town; he was the first Son of George Stapletune, Esq. He
left behind him Elizabeth his wife, Patroness, when they had lived virtuously
together 26 Years and Faith their only Daughter. He departed this World
in the true Faith of Christ 28th Dec. 1586.
The coat of arms on the tomb was described as:
Arg. A Lyon Ramp. Sable impales with Arg. 3. Broad
Arrow-Heads Or, Phæons Sable, upon a Chief Sable, a Hound Argent. Upon
the Lyon is a Crescent for a difference, and in the other Coat a Mullet.