Rossington St Michael

Official Listing Description



5th June 1968



(south side)

Church of St. Michael

Grade II*

Church. C12 with mid C14 tower; mostly rebuilt 1844 by Clark of Leeds for patron Sir James Brown. Magnesian limestone and sandstone ashlar, graduated slate roof. West tower, 4-bay nave with transepts; narrower chancel with separately-roofed north vestry. Tower: magnesian limestone, 4 stages, Perpendicular. Chamfered plinth and moulded band; diagonal west buttresses with offsets; string courses between stages. Small west doorway in quadrant- moulded surround with hoodmould beneath 3-light window with plain tracery in similar surround; clock faces to short 3rd stage. Pointed 2-light belfry openings with louvres, panel tracery and hoodmoulds; north and south gargoyles to embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: sandstone; rebuilt 1844 in Early English style on deeply-chamfered plinth. Gabled porch to bay 1 encloses restored C12 south door having shafted jambs and beak-heads beneath billeted hoodmould. West angles of nave have buttresses with chamfered arrises and offsets from which rise pinacles with gablets. Impost string course links lancet windows with shafted jambs, acanthus capitals and moulded arches; beak-head corbel table at eaves. Gabled transepts, in same style, have larger lancet windows to north and south. Gable copings, east cross to nave. Chancel: lower, mid C19 in Norman and Early English styles. Round-arched south door with shafted jambs and moulded arch beneath voussoirs; C12-style 1-light window on right; buttresses, eaves corbels, east window and east gable details as nave. Vestry has north door with shouldered lintel and rectangular window on right. Interior: tall, pointed tower arch with quadrant-moulded inner order. C19 nave and transept roofs of arch-braced trusses on carved stone corbels. Excellent mid-C12 chancel arch has re-entrant jambs with short shafts and half-round responds starting high up; respond capitals have corner masks and entwined trail carving; arch has zig-zag to west and pelleted outer order beneath carved and billeted hood. Font: plain pre-Conquest tub on chamfered plinth and with cable-moulded rim. Pulpit: C15 on later foot; wooden, octagonal with sides having 2 cusped lights beneath Perpendicular tracery; raised lettering around top with name Richard Stancall (reputedly brought from the old Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Doncaster). Stained glass: east window of 1862 by J. B. Capronnier of Brussels. Wall monument in chancel by Walsh and Lee of Leeds to James Brown of Harehills Grove, Leeds (d.1845); another to James Brown of Rossington (d.1877). N. Pevsner, B.O.E, 1967 ed; plate 17a Parochial Church Council, A Home for God's family - St. Michael's, Rossington, Church guide.

Listing NGR: SK6250898396