For this church:
There are no early traces of a church building, but the present position of the church and the Hermitage on a raised area between Church Street, Wilford Road and Manor Park make it a likely site. The Hermitage in particular is thought to have been the original manor house of Rudda, the Saxon founder of Ruddington, who would naturally site a church near his residence (though there is no evidence for a pre-Conquest church). Excavations in 1975 revealed a well shaft and 566 pottery fragments.
The present church was originally a manorial chapel until Flawford church was demolished in 1773 and the chapel became the parish church. The Hermitage has revealed features of its past in the Tudor west wing rebuilt in 1708.