For this church:
Features and Fittings
Most of the permanent fittings date from the nineteenth century.
The altar, screen and choir stalls are oak. The altar is surmounted by a marble slab incised with a cross at each corner and in the centre, representing the five wounds of Christ.
The carved front panels show:
1A eucharistic chalice and host (central panel)
2Figures of St Peter holding the key to the Kingdom and St John holding eucharistic elements (panel on either side of centre)
3Melchizedek, king and priest. (“Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedec” from Psalm 110.4, applied to Christ in Hebrews 5 – extreme left panel)
4Aaron holding his rod that budded from Numbers 17.1-13 (panel on extreme right)
On the south side of the altar are four carved stone heads, four each side at the base of stone arches, and two more on the canopy above the three seats in the sedilia. This carved canopy and a piscina form the chief stonework in the whole church.
The screen is surmounted by a massive rood cross bearing the inscription (from Revelation 5.13):
The oak pulpit matches the chancel screen and the panelling round the church. It stands on four square carved legs, is octagonal and carved with linenfold design in the panels, also matching the carving on all pew ends (though these have recently been removed). A band of grapes and vine leaf carving runs between the top edge of the pulpit and the carved panels.
A faculty of September 1956 provided for an English altar with riddel posts and an altar rail. The oak furniture was made by Bridgmans of Lichfield.
There are two fonts. The ‘old’ one is in the space between the south door and the oak door. It is thought that this is the font for which the licence of 1479 authorizing its use was granted. The second font placed by the west door was given in memory of John Hall MD as ‘a token of affectionate regard from friends and patients in Ruddington and neighbouring villages – 1884’. The carved panels above the pillared stem represent:
1The descent of the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove
2The Cross (a child is given this sign at baptism)
3Three intertwined fishes
4The Greek letters Alpha and Omega
5An ark (the link between Noah’s ark and baptism is spelled out in 1 Peter 3.20,21)
6The letters IHS
7A chalice (decorated with vine leaf design)
8Interlocking triangles (signifying the Trinity)
A faculty was obtained in March 1960 for a beautifully carved oak cover to the font inscribed in memory of Charles Beecroft, sixty years a bellringer, who died 7 November 1958. ‘Suffer the little children to come to me.’ It was made by craftsman John Burgh from the firm of John Parker, joiners, Easthorpe.
The coats of arms of the Province of York and the Diocese of Southwell are carved in the stone of the wall. An inscription on the panelling below reads: