For this church:
Screveton St Wilfrid
Features and Fittings
There are two misericords attached to seats in the chancel.
One, the older, is medieval – probably 15th century, carved to represent ‘winter’, and shows a man warming his feet at a fire.
Similar figures elsewhere have been used to represent ‘February’, and so this may be the only survivor from an original series of 12.
The second, added in 1908, represents St. Wilfrid.
Norman, dated to c.1170.
Bowl encircled with interlaced arcading, and a foliaged border above.
It is 3ft in diameter, and 2ft 3in high. It has a flat cover which is dated to c.1660.
The Arms of Charles II
Superbly carved royal arms, dated 1684.
They are carved in wood, with cherubs’ heads and other ornamentation, and bear also the arms of Whalley, with the initials C.R. and dated 1684.
This was formerly fixed over the chancel arch and is now located above the partition between the nave and the tower.
It presumably dates from the 14th century, when the south aisle was added, but at some point was carefully filled up, and only uncovered – perfectly preserved – when the aisle was restored in 1884; it has been restored.
It is variously dated to the 14th or 15th century by different sources.
Virgin Mary statue
A tablet, detailing the bequest made by John Hall in 1833, is attached to the north wall of the tower. It reads:
LadderThe tower contains a ladder in the 1st floor chamber (now not in use) that appears to be of pre-19th century date.