For this church:
Scrooby St Wilfrid
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish Church. Early C15. South aisle and porch early C16, restored 1864. C20. Ashlar with slate roofs, embattled parapets to all but the porch, single ridge cross. Buttressed and set on a plinth with moulded string course over. Tower with octagonal spire, nave, south aisle and chapel, south porch, chancel. The tower of 2 stages with string course at the junction has a 3-light arched west window with cusping, hoodmould and label stops. In the belfry are 4 arched 2-light openings. The angles of the tower parapet are chamfered and have single small diagonal buttresses rising to the height of the merlons and supportingcrocketed pinnacles. The spire is topped with a weather vane. Over the south bellfry opening is a C20 clock face, under the string course to the north and south are single metal crosses. The north wall has 3 restored windows each with 3 cusped arched lights under a flat head with hoodmould and label stops over. Abutting the tower and north wall is a low ashlar C20 lean-to with flue rising to the parapet. The diagonally buttressed east wall has bases at the parapet angles for crocketed pinnacles now lying in the churchyard. There is an arched 4-light C19 chancel window with panel tracery, cusping, hoodmould and label stops. The east window of the south aisle has 3 arched lights under a flat head with hoodmould. The south front has 3 windows each with 3 arched lights under a flat head with hoodmould over which extends to a guttering band. Between the 2 eastern most windows is an archeddoorway with moulded surround and hoodmould. The parapeted south porch has a double chamfered arched entrance with triangular hoodmould. The interior stone roof is supported on 2 transverse arches supported in turn on corbels. The inner doorway is arched with worn moulding and a C20 wooden door. The west end of the south aisle has a single window with 3 arched cusped lights under a flat head with hoodmould over. Interior. 3 bay nave arcade with octagonal piers and responds, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The double chamfered tower arch has a single C19 foliate decorated capital either side. The inner arch of the double chamfered chancel arch is supported on single 1/2 columns with C19 foliate decorated capitals. C19 corbels support the roof. In the aisle are 2 C16 oak benches with carved ends and back. In the chapel is a similarly carved bench. There is a C17 decoratively carved chair. Th pulpit, lectern and font are C19. Above the south door is an ashlar memorial plaque dated 1760. Scrooby harboured a Separatist Puritan group, 1606-8, which fled to Holland in 1608 and then in 1620 sailed to America in the Mayflower. William Brewster, one of the Pilgrim Fathers and a ruling elder, worshipped in Scrooby Church.
Churchyard wall and village pinfold
Churchyard wall, gate piers, gates and village pinfold. Dressed coursed rubble, ashlar, red brick, wrought iron and wood. Extending 95 metres around the east and north of the churchyard is a dressed coursed rubble wall with ashlar coping and some brick infill to the north side. To the east is a pair of ashlar piers with shaped coping and double wrought iron gate. The north side has a pair of small wooden piers and double wooden gate. Projecting from the north west is the dressed coursed rubble village pinfold, extending to 17 metres on its north and east sides, with a pair of wooden piers and wooden gate in the south east corner. Included for group value only.
Listing NGR: SK6523890755