For this church:
Sutton on Trent All Saints
Official Listing Description
The following items are listed:
Parish church. C13, C14, C15: Mering Chapel c.1525: C19: tower rebuilt 1902-03; restored 1932 by William Weir, and further restored 1956-58. Coursed squared rubble and ashlar, dressed stone, brick, rendered. Lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, south chancel chapel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C15, with C19 buttresses, 3 stages. Rendered plinth, 2 string courses, eaves band with remains of gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. 2 diagonal buttresses, 6 setoffs, that to south inscribed 'Lord Elam and Willm. Butterey Churchwardens 1815'. First stage has to south a round headed lancet and above, a rectangular chamfered light. To west, C13 doorway with hood mould and leaded overlight. Above, a chamfered leaded light. North side has a leaded light. Second stage has 4 C13 double lancet openings with flanking shafts, chamfered mullions and surrounds. Third stage has to east and south late C15 double lancets with Y tracery, splayed mullions and reveals. Nave, 6 bays, has clerestory, c.1525. Chamfered eaves band with gargoyles, crenellated parapet and east gable with remains of cross. 2 crocketed pinnacles. East gable has small light with four centred arched head. On each side, 6 triple lancets with cusped ogee heads, panel tracery, splayed mullions and reveals, and linked hood mould. North aisle, C14 and C15, restored, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves and coped gables. 4 plain buttresses, 2 setoffs. West end has C14 triple lancet, with ogee heads, panel tracery, chamfered and rebated reveal and hood mould with mask stops. North side has 3 restored C15 triple lancets, the central lancet smaller, with ogee heads, Decorated tracery, splayed mullions, chamfered and rebated reveals, and hood moulds with mask stops. East end has C13 triple lancet with intersecting tracery, splayed mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal. South aisle C14 and C15, 4 bays, has plinth and coved eaves band with rosettes and 2 spouts. Moulded coped parapet. 5 plain buttresses, 3 setoffs. South side has to east, 2 C15 double lancets with cusped ogee heads, panel tracery, splayed mullions, chamfered and rebated reveals with four centred arched heads and hood moulds with mask stops. To west, C14 triple lancet with ogee heads, splayed mullion and square headed reveal and hood mould. West end has small lancet with cusped trefoil head and chamfered reveal. Chancel, 2 bays, has coved eaves band and creneallted parapet with crocketed gable on north east corner. North side has single plain and single diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs plus chamfered plinths, and C20 rendered chimney. To west, C15 triple lancet with ogee heads, panel tracery with billeted transom, splayed mullion, chamfered and rebated reveal with Tudor arched head, hood mould and mask stops. East end has C16 5 light lancet with round heads, transom, beaded mullions, triangular head with hood mould. Above, datestone inscribed '1632'. Vestry, C19, single bay, has crenellated parapet with ashlar coping. To north, door with segmental head. South chancel Mering chapel, c.1525, 3 unequal bays, has chamfered plinth, moulded string course, sill and eavesbands, with single gargoyle, bosses and mask. Panelled crenellated parapet with shields and 4 crocketed pinnacles, crenellated east gable. 2 buttresses to south, pair of corner buttresses to south east, all 2 setoffs, with crocketed gables and 2 crocketed pinnacles. East end has C16 5 light lancet with cusped round heads and panel tracery, beaded splayed mullion, coved and moulded reveal with four centred arch and hood mould. South side has to east, 2 quadruple lancets with cusped round heads, beaded mullions, coved and moulded reveals and coved hood moulds. To west, restored doorway with four centred arched head, incised lintel and hood mould. Above, double lancet with round heads, beaded mullions, coved and moulded square headed reveal. South porch, C15, has rendered plinth and 2 flanking buttresses, single setoff. Elliptical arched south doorway with splayed jambs and elaborately moulded head and hood mould with mask stops. Interior has stone benches and low pitch C15 roof with moulded ridge and flat cleft rafters. South doorway, C13, has moulded and rebated reveal, flanking shafts with moulded capitals, and hood mould. C19 door with decorative hinges. Nave arcades, late C13, 3 bays, have round piers with water holding bases and moulded capitals. Keeled responds to east and west. Chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Clerestory reveal to east has shield in spandrel. Principal rafter roof with moulded purlins, heavily restored, with doubled tie beams on octagonal corbels, and king posts with struts. Tower arch, C13, chamfered and rebated, with hood mould and keeled responds with moulded square capitals and bases. Early C20 panelled and part glazed timber screen, with billeted transom and 2 small lights. North aisle has east window with stained glass, 1927, by Geoffrey Webb. Lean-to roof has C14 corbels and C15 cambered tie beams with struts. Restored C19. South aisle has to east on south side, C13 chamfered piscina. C19 lean-to roof with C15 moulded tie beams, moulded ridge and foliate bosses. East end has moulded elliptical arch, c.1525, to Mering Chapel, with moulded responds. Important C16 timber screen with surround with shafts. Traceried lower panels, carved rail and pierced upper panels. To left, door of similar design, with Arms in lintel. Above, overhanging gallery withcarved and moulded bressummer on plain corbels and traceried panelled front, with elaborate carved and moulded cresting. East side has framed panelling. Chancel arch, C14, chamfered and rebated, with hood mould and cove moulded band above. Keeled responds with moulded keeled capitals and remains of capitals of flanking shafts. Above, to left, chamfered pointed arched recess with crucifix. Chancel, 2 bays, has to south 2-bay arcade, c.1525. Panelled octagonal central pier with panelled moulded base and crenellated octagonal capital. To east and west, mutilated responds with similar capitals. Cove and roll moulded arches with hood moulds. Windows have fragments of C16 stained glass. East window has flanking pointed arched stone panels with Commandments. South side has, to east, remains of chamfered piscina. Principal rafter roof, C15, restored, with duplicate tie beams with struts supporting earlier cambered tie beams, one with moulding. Mering chapel, 2 bays, has full height traceried panel in south wall, with 2 blank shields and 3 octagonal brackets. To its left, corbelled octagonal piscina set in traceried crocketed square panel with hood mould. To its right, 2 octagonal brackets with traceried panels. East window has traceried flanking panels, and above them, crenellated brackets with foliate bosses. All windows have hood moulds. 2 windows have scraps of C16 stained glass. West end has to south, four centred arched doorway, and to north, C17 arched head panelled door in pier. Fittings include font, C15, moulded octagonal base and stem, with traceried panels, octagonal bowl with remains of tracery, and late C17 2-tier panelled octagonal cover with ball finial. Octagonal pulpit with C18 panelled stem and C19 traceried panelled top. C19 carved oak eagle lectern. Several re-sited C16 benches with traceried panels, shaped ends and fleur de lys or mask finials. Chamfered and panelled C19 benches. Remains of octagonal font bowl in porch, with masks and shields in panels, and foliate bosses. 2 C18 upholstered chairs with carved backs and stretchers. Rood, 1939. Monuments include Mering chest tomb with chamfered base, strapwork panels, and moulded Purbeck marble top. Brass to William Leek, 1770. Brass, 1779. Panel tablet with wavy top to William and Elizabeth Downing, 1792 and 1813. Oval tablet with fluted sprandrels, 1822, signed 'C H S Newark'. Large shouldered alabaster war memorial panel with crucifix, 1918. 8 brasses C20.
Lych gate and adjoining boundary wall. C19 and c.1920. Dressed stone, brick and timber, with hipped plain tile roof with gables. Lych gate has a pair of dwarf walls and 3 posts each side, with curved brackets. Central tie beam with curved brackets. Scissor braced roof. Pair of timber gates with segmental heads. Bronze memorial plaque, 1945. Boundary wall has gabled blue brick coping and curved north end. Single square brick pier and 2 similar gate piers with pyramidal ashlar caps. Pair of C19 wrought iron gates. Good C19 wrought iron overthrow with square lamp.
Sundial. 1743. Ashlar. Squarevase shaped stem with square chamfered base and cap. Top of stem inscribed 'George B..... 1743'. Included for group value only.