View of the church from the north

Underwood

St Michael and All Angels

Newark Archdeaconry

Newstead Deanery

Introduction

This church was built in 1889-90 by the architect J A Chatwin of Birmingham for Earl Cowper of Beauvale.

It is a noble edifice of grey stone with Bath Stone dressings in an ‘ambitious Decorated style’ (Pevsner), consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a massive north-east tower with an open belfry and turret containing three bells, three by Taylors and one by an unknown founder.

An oak-shingled spire was added in 1891. A new church clock was installed in 1920 in tribute to those who died in the Great War. There is an imposing lych gate.

A new stained glass window was added in 2000 for a local man, Howard Smalley.

This church is currently being researched, a full entry will appear in due course.