For this church:
Colston Bassett St Mary
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Several Gravestones and Groups of Gravestones in the churchyard; These are:
A group of 6 by the south chancel
Church now ruin. C12 north arcade, predominantly C14, C15 tower (upper part), some C18 alterations to north arcade. Thinly coursed rubble, ashlar tower (upper part). Nave of 3 bays, north aisle gone, south aisle and transept. 3-bay chancel, west tower. Surviving details include 2 Norman circular piers and one respond with scalloped capitals. The pointed arcade above has inserted round- arched 'Gibbs' windows, 2-light windows with Y-tracery to chancel, a 3-light window with reticulated tracery to south transept (east side), the large south window has gone. The tower has 2-light bell-chamber openings, a quatre-foil frieze with corner gargoyles and a crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles. In 1892 the Church Commissioners ordered that the building have its roof removed so as to make it ruinous, on the building of the new Church of St John (q.v.).
Scheduled Ancient Monument No. 170. N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979. J T Godfrey. Nottinghamshire Churches.
Listing NGR: SK6949233842
Group of headstones. 1751 and early C19. Slate. The following 6 are of listable quality: east to west.
1. Tall, rectangular, Classical with fine incised details including columns to each side each with a female figure, and a globe in the centre. To Sarah Marriott wife of Wm. Marriott d.1814. Signed 'Wood'.
2. Tall, finely cut with a shield panel. To Eliz. Sumner wife of John Sumner d.1815. Signed 'Wood'.
3. Small, simple with two round-faced winged angels. To Ann wife of Wm. Roe d.1751. Also John Kirkby d.1752.
4. Classical finely cut details including semi-circular panel with female figure and sheep. To Mary Sumner Relict of the late John Sumner d.1814. Signed 'Wood'.
5. Classical with fine cut detail including side columns with urns and a semi-circular panel at the top depicting a pastoral scene. To John Sumner d.1812 aged 80 years. Signed 'Wood'.
6. Classical, with fine details including a semi-circular panel with anchor and cross. To John Sumner son of John and Mary Sumner d.1806. Signed 'Wood'.
Wood was a sculptor from Bingham.
Listing NGR: SK6950333840
Headstone. 1730. Slate. Small, rectangular with two round-faced winged angels and a heart inscribed "be ye ready". Raised letters read: "HERE LIES THE BODY OF JOHN SPENCER HE DIED JUN THE 30 1730 Aged 40 YEAR"
An inscribed verse follows. An excellent example of its type.
Listing NGR: SK6950133828
Group of headstones. Early and late C18. Mainly slate. The following 8 are of listable quality:
1. Of stone with double arched head with large crude round-faced winged angel. Inscribed in large capitals to Mary daughter of John Bonser by Mary his wife. Probably early to mid C18.
2. Small, rectangular with round-faced winged angel to Mary daughter of Thomas Sumner by Anne his wife d.1710 aged 10 years. On the back of the stone is a list of 5 more children who all died in infancy: Eliz. d.1696, Tho. d.1696, Ann d.1697, John d.1698, John d.1702.
3. Larger rectangular with round-faced winged angel. To Thomas Sumner d.1727 in his 62nd year. Also Ann his wife d.1736 aged 67.
4. Tall, classical with finely cut details, shaped head. To Ferneough Barratt d.1799. Signed by 'Wood'.
5. Shaped head, finely cut details including flowing foliage. To Mary wife of Ferneough Barratt d.1791.
6. Rectangular with finely cut flowing decoration. To Wm. Parker jun. d.1733.
7. Rectangular with flowing decoration. To Eliz. daughter of Wm. and Mary Parker d.1757 aged 17.
8. Shaped, classical, with finely cut details. To Wm. Parker d.1792. Also Mary his wife d.1794.
Listing NGR: SK6950233822
Group of headstones. Mid to late C18. Slate. The following 6 are of listable quality:
1. Tall, shaped, classical with finely cut details to Ann relict of Charles Church d.1793. Signed 'Wood', Bingham.
2. Tall, shaped, classical, fine detail with a circular panel in head with vase. To Charles Church d.1791.
3. Small, rectangular with round-faced winged angel. To Mary wife of Thomas Church d.1757.
4. Shaped, classical with flowing foliage. To Thomas son of Charles and Ann Church d.1798 aged 21 years.
5. Tall, shaped, classical with flowing foliage to Ann daughter of Charles and Mary Church d.1800.
6. Rectangular with chamfered-off corners. To Charles Church jun. d.1736.
Listing NGR: SK6950533816
Headstone. 1784. Slate. Large, shaped, decorated with flowers and with a relief vase in a heart shape in the head. To Joseph Thompson d.1784. Signed by 'Wood' of Bingham.
Listing NGR: SK6948833832
Headstone. 1746. Slate. Rectangular with shaped panel. Relief carving in corners of hour-glass and book and scythe. To Abigail wife of Thos. Willson Speight of Bunny d.1746. Signed "W. Charles Sculptor".
Listing NGR: SK6948633823
Group of headstones. Later C18. Slate. The following 4 are of listable quality:
1. Shaped, classical with relief vase in sunk panel, and flowers. To John White d.1784.
2. Shaped and decorated with flowers and a relief child's head with wings. To Mary wife of John White d.1783.
3. Shaped, classical with relief angel blowing a trumpet. To John son of John and Mary White d.1783. Signed 'S. Wood - Bingham'.
4. Rectangular, flowing foliage decoration with relief cherub with wings. To Eliz., wife of Richard Pratt d.1759.
Listing NGR: SK6948833811
Headstone. 1750. Slate. Small, rectangular, with two round-faced winged angels. To John Cam Senr. d.1750. Also John son of John and Sarah Cam d.1756 aged 19.
Listing NGR: SK6948033815
Headstone. 1799. Slate. Shaped, classical with very fine decoration and relief winged head in a round panel. To Mary, daughter of John and Ann Draper d.1799 aged 12 years. Signed 'Wood, Bingham'.
Listing NGR: SK6946733827