For this church:
Gonalston St Laurence
St Laurence’s Church is surrounded on all sides by a well-established rural churchyard. The church is not set centrally within its grounds, but lies towards the northwest corner.
The largest number of grave markers is on the southern side of the site. Some older burials are now concealed by shrubbery and wild vegetation, particularly on the periphery of the south and west borders. The oldest easily accessible and legible grave marker is dated 1707, but it is possible that others are present of an older date. A substantial number of memorials have either fallen or have been placed flat. Grave markers of slate (both Swithland and Welsh), limestone and marble can be seen. Two separate family plots are enclosed within decorative wrought iron fences each containing several markers. The larger one is the Francklin family plot on the south side; the other is on the west side but it is only just visible due to the overgrowth.
There are about 85 standing grave markers.
The churchyard is still used for burials and a few graves are obviously attended.