For this church:
West Bingham Deanery
Gotham church is not mentioned in the Domesday Book when Robert of Mortain, the half brother of William the Conqueror, held the most important manor in the village. The manor most likely came into the hands of Robert, count of Meulan following the battle of Tinchebrai in Normandy in 1106. Soon afterwards he became earl of Leicester and Gotham became part of the honour of Leicester. The first intimation of a church at Gotham is the gift of tithes made to the monastery of St Mary in the Meadows, Leicester. It is recorded in a charter of Henry II to the monastery dated between 1155-62. Robert le Bossu or hunchback had founded the abbey of St Mary in the Meadows between 1137 and 1143 in the time of King Stephen.
An early form of the present church at Gotham would have been in existence before 1143. The south aisle of the nave was completed before the north aisle and about 1300 the present tower and broach spire and the north aisle of the nave were added. The chancel has north and south windows in the decorated style and was built shortly after. The clerestory is Perpendicular and was probably built between 1425-1475 and also a fine medieval cancelli that was removed from the church at the end of the 19th century. Parts of the church have been repaired or replaced over the centuries, the spire and roof suffering damage from inclement weather. In the 18th century the widow of the recently deceased rector, John Lightfoot was charged with the cost of repairing the chancel which was partially rebuilt and shortened. Recently the outside fabric of the church has been renovated and the lower parts of the church walls have now been rendered to protect the stonework.
Particular thanks to Barry Alexander for research on this entry