For this church:
Laxton St Michael
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored and partly rebuilt 1859-60 by Hine and Evans. Coursed squared rubble and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs, gabled and pyramidal, with coped gables and gabled kneelers. Chamfered plinths. West tower, nave, north aisle, north aisle chapel, south aisle, chancel, south chancel chapel, south porch. West tower, C13 and c.1490, rebuilt and re-roofed 1859, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, eaves band with gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. First stage has to west stair turret on north east corner. Doorway, C13, 3 orders, with filleted shafts and moulded head with hood mould and mask stops. To left, 2 stair lights. Above, C14 ogee headed double lancet with hood mould. Second stage has to south and west, clock, and to north, 2 slit lights. Third stage has 4 double lancet bell openings with cusped heads and hood moulds. West side has mask stops. Nave, 6 bays, c.1490, shortened by 2 bays 1860, has panelled crenellated parapet with on each side, 8 crocketed pinnacles and 7 large gargoyles. North parapet has panel with Bishop and deer referring to Archbishop Rotherham. On each side, 6 C15 triple lancets with cusped heads, four centred arched openings and linked hood mould. Partly restored. North aisle, mainly C19, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal and 2 intermediate buttresses, 2 setoffs. North side has 3 C15 triple lancets, restored, with ogee heads, square headed reveals and hood moulds. West end has C14 style double lancet with cusped heads, hood mould and stops. North chancel chapel and vestry, 3 bays, C19, has 3 plain buttresses, chamfered plinth, coped east gable with gabled kneelers. North side has to east, C13 style door with flanking shafts, moulded head, hood mould and mask stops. To west, 2 C15 style double lancets with ogee heads, four centred arched heads, heads, and hood moulds with stops. East end has C13 style double lancet with hood mould and stops. South aisle, rebuilt 1860, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal and single intermediate buttresses. South side has, to east, 2 C15 triple lancets with cusped ogee heads, square headed reveals and hood moulds. West end has a C14 double lancet with cusped heads, quatrefoil motif, restored hood mould and foliate stops. Chancel, early C14, 4 bays, has 2 moulded string courses and 2 gabled diagonal buttresses at east end. To east, on each side, a narrow C15 double lancet with cusped ogee heads and transom, shield motif and hood mould. On each side, to west, 3 C15 double lancets with cusped ogee heads and four centred arched reveals, those to south chamfered. South side has, to east, moulded rectangular low side window. East end has replica C14 5 light lancet with 4 shafts, cusped quatrefoils in circles, moulded reveal, hood mould and angel stops. South chancel chapel, C19, has 3 plain buttresses. East end has C14 style double lancet with cusped heads, hood mould and mask stops. South side has 3 C15 style double lancets with ogee heads, quatrefoil motif, four centred arched reveals and hood moulds with mask and foliate stops. South porch, 1860, C14 style. To south, 2 flanking buttresses, doorway with flanking shafts, foliate capitals, hood mould and mask stops. East side has a double lancet with cusped heads in square headed reveal. Outside, discarded stone sundial, 1820. Interior has stone benches and principal rafter roof with collars. Inner south doorway, C19 in C13 style, has flanking shafts with moulded foliate capitals, head with keeled roll mould, and hood mould with foliate stops. C19 diagonal boarded doors. North and south nave arcades, C13. 3 bays. 4 round piers with moulded round bases and capitals. 4 half pier responds with moulded bases and capitals. Arches double chamfered and rebated, with linked hood moulds and mask stops. North side has 4 figure corbels and 3 smaller angel corbels. South side has 4 figure corbels and 3 damaged beast corbels. Square pilasters between clerestory windows. Moulded C15 roof, restored 1860,with crenellated corbels, curved brackets, shield and foliate bosses. Plain boss inscribed 'GT TA 1738'. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, half pier responds with water holding bases and chamfered capitals. Renaissance Revival style panelled oak screen, 1935, with obelisk finials. North aisle has to east, 3 bay panelled oak screen, 1522, restored C20, with pierced traceried panels. Moulded transom and crest with Latin inscriptions and date. To east again, C14 arch, double chamfered with filleted shafts with octagonal capitals. C19 lean-to roof with diagonal matchboard. South aisle has similar roof and arch at east end. Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered, with rounded keeled shafts and run-out bases. Rood screen, oak, 7 bays, C15, has ogee heads, perpendicular traceried panels, panelled transom. Largely restored. Chancel has on each side a 3 bay arcade with clustered keeled shafts and 3 matching responds, linked hood moulds with restored shield stops. Single pier on south side, to west, has water holding base. South east respond has damaged ogee headed niche. East end has to north moulded C14 door with elaborate ogee head and hood mould. Traceried panelled door, 1937. To east, Easter sepulchre, C14, with crocketed ogee head, flanking shafts, Decorated tracery, ogee hood mould with crocketed finial, and containing C20 aumbry. East end has to left, moulded square bracket, C15. Oak reredos, 1900, with traceried panels. To right, bracket with blank shield and angel corbel. South side has to east, chamfered squint and to its right, C14 double piscina with central shaft, ogee headed openings with Decorated tracery, hood mould and mask stops. To west again, C14 triple sedilia with moulded arms between seats. Elaborate canopy with 3 ogee headed openings, crocketed finials and crests. Canopies have tierceron vaults. Roof, C15, partly renewed 1860, has cambered moulded tie beams with king posts and minor struts to moulded purlins. Diagonal matchboarding and C19 principal rafters. South chancel chapel and north aisle chapel have roofs matching north aisle. Fittings include font, C17, octagonal bowl with moulded rim, clustered keeled shaft on chamfered square base. C20 timber cover with traceried panels, angel finials, concave conical top and crocketed finial. Octagonal pulpit, 1916. Chamfered and moulded C19 benches, panelled clergy desk, late C19, communion table, C17, moulded stretchers and reeded square legs. 2 restored C17 armchairs with carved panelled backs. C18 oak chest wth bracket feet. Octagonal oak poor box. Cast iron box, 1818. Carved timber lectern 1898 and desk lectern 1927. Effigy of BVM, C20. Monuments include 3 painted stone slabs, 1811, 1818 and 1822 recording benefactions, all signed or initialled by J. Trusswell. 2 moulded panels, C19 containing Terrier. Table tomb with 4 shafts, ballflower ornament and angel bosses, with stone figures of Knight and lady, and oak figure of second lady, to Adam de Everingham, 1341. 2 mutilated figures of Knights, C13, and C14, on C20 bases, and moulded panelled base with effigy of Knight, C14. All to members of de Everingham family, 1287, 1387 and 1398. C17 slate tablet with angel corbel and above, draped cartouche. Brasses 1860 and 4 C20. Marble and slate war memorial tablet, 1919.
Churchyard cross. C17. Ashlar. Square plinth carrying round column with square base and damaged moulded square cap.
Gate, gate piers and flanking wall. Mid C19. Ashlar and iron. Pair of curved dwarf flanking walls with chamfered ashlar coping carrying decorative railing. Pair of ashlar flanking piers with stepped pyramidal caps. Pair of square skeleton iron gate piers with wavy tops. Pair of ramped-top iron gates.