For this church:
Nottingham St Mary
Nottinghamshire Archives Office
Parish Registers: Baptisms from 1566, Marriages from 1566, Burials from 1566.
Churchwardens Accounts 1583-1584, 1589-1590, 1590-1591.
Minute Book of the Vicar and Churchwardens 1882-1889, 1898-1916.
Terriers and Charities 1687-1825.
Church Accounts Minute Book 1916-1944.
Guild Roll, The Guild of St. Mary 1371.
Faculties. Numerous references used.
St. Mary’s Ephemera.
To Restore the Church 1866 FB7/101.
Borthwick Institute York
York Archiepiscopal Registers Markham 1777-1807 Folio 241-242.
Faculties Book 3 1793-1816 Folio 351-2 Stretton and Cooper 1804.
Accounts of the Churchwardens of St. Mary’s 1589-1590.
Nottingham University Hallward Library
Archdeaconry of Nottingham Presentment Bills 1722.
Lambeth Palace Library
Correspondence, Archdeacon Wilkins, Enlargement and Improvement to the seating accommodation ICBS 316, 1821.
Letters from Revd. J. M. Brooks to Bishop of Lincoln Ref. 03338, 1844.
Plans ICBS 02364 Folio 19ff (1838-1840) ICBS 0338b (1843-1848) ICBS 0338c (1843-1848)
Birmingham City Archives
Hardman Collection Day Book 1880 Nos. 448, 492.
Hardman Collection Day Book 1870-1877 No. 54.
Andrew Abbott, Nottingham Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, A Brief History of the Bells, March 1995.
Abbott, Andrew & Whittle, John. 1993, The Organs and Organists of St Mary’s Church Nottingham.
Annual Reports, 1864-1958.
Secular Minster churches in Domesday Book, a Reassessment, John Blair, Oxford 1985. Dr. Julia Barrow, “Excellente Newe & Uniform yn Work”, (Nottingham University Day School March 2006)
Becket, John Editor, 1997, A Centenary History of Nottingham.
Blackner, John, 1815, The History of Nottingham.
Boulay Hill, Rev. A du. 1916, Thoroton Society Transactions Vol. XX. The Autumn Excursion to St. Mary the Virgin Nottingham.
Cameron, Alan, 1971, Thoroton Society Transactions LXXV. William de Amyas & the Community of Nottingham 1308-1350.
Challis, K (ed), 2012, Archaeology in Nottinghamshire 2011-2012. Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 116, 17-43.
Cottingham, L. N. 1842-1843, Report to the Archdeacon and Churchwardens & Report on the ChurchTower.
Dawson, George A., 1995, The Church bells of Nottinghamshire Part II.
Friends of St Mary’s Newsletters, Spring 1997, Summer 2000, Spring 2001.
Geddes, Jane, 1999, Medieval Decorative Ironwork in England. Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London.
Gentlemens’ Magazine,1843, Vol XIX.
Gill, Harry, 1916, Thoroton Society Transactions Volume XX. Architectural Notes on The Church of St. Mary the Virgin Nottingham.
Godfrey, John T., 1901, Notes on the Parish Registers of St Mary’s Nottingham 1566 to 1812.
Grainger, James, 1908, Thoroton Society Transactions Vol. XII. The Old Streets of Nottingham.
Gray, Duncan 1953, Nottingham Settlement to City.
Gray, Duncan 1949, Nottingham through 500 Years, A Short History of Town Government.
Henstock, Adrian, Editor. 1980, Thoroton Society Record Series Vol. XXXIII. The Diary of Abigail Gawthern of Nottingham 1751-1810.
Hine, T. C. 1888, St. Mary’s Church Nottingham Paper read at Congregational Union.
Hodgkinson, R. F. B., Thoroton Society Transactions Vols. XXIX, XXX,XXXI, Act Books from the Archdeaconry of Nottingham
Iliffe & Baguley, 1976, Victorian Nottingham, A Story in Pictures, Volume 17.
Kempe Trust, The,2000, The Corpus of Kempe Stained Glass in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Lindsay, Lilian, 1928, Account of Thos. Berdmore’s life & work, British Dental Association Nottingham.
Marony, J. J., 1876, A Poem. The Bells of St Mary’s.
Mellors, R., 1924, Men of Nottingham and Notts.
Register of William Melton, Archbishop of York, 1317-1340. The Canterbury and York Society. 1977.
Orange, James, 1840, Vol. II. History and Antiquities of Nottingham
Pace, George, G., 1976, The Heritage of St Mary’s, The Friends of St. Mary’s.
Peters, D. J., 1974, A Short History and Guide to NottinghamParishChurch of St Mary the Virgin.
Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1979, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire. Revised by Elizabeth Williamson.
Potter Briscoe, J., 1908, Chapters of Nottinghamshire History.
Potter Briscoe, J., & Ward, J., Eds. Notts & Derbyshire Notes & Queries Vol. 2.
Records of the Borough of Nottingham Vol. I,V, IV,VI.
Reynolds, William, M.A., 1657, The Vanitie of Man in his best Estate, A sermon preached at St. Marie’s in Nottingham.
Ringing World, The. 1961,September.
Rogers, Alan, 1973, Thoroton Society Transactions Vol. .LXXVI. The 1851 Religious Census Returns.
Samuels, John, Archaeological Consultants, 1999, An Archaeological Evaluation & Exhumation at Nottm. Ice Stadium, Lr. Parliament St., Nottm.
Stretton, William, 1910, Stretton Manuscripts.
Stapleton, Alfred, 1903, The Churches and Monasteries of Old and New Nottingham.
Stapleton, Alfred, 1902, The Tombs, Chapels, Chantries, and Gilds in the Parish Churches of Old Nottingham.
Stapleton, Alfred, Doubleday Scrapbook, Press cuttings of notes by Stapleton.
Sutton, John, 1852, The Nottingham Date Book 1750-1850.
Thomis, Malcolm I., 1968, Old Nottingham.
Train, K. S. S., 1953, Thoroton Society Record Series XV. List of the Clergy of Central Nottinghamshire.
Victorian Society, East Midlands Group, The Church of St Mary the Virgin Nottingham.
Wadsworth, F. A., 1917, Thoroton Society Transactions XXI. Notes on The Tombs, Chapels, Images, and Lights In the Church of St. Mary the Virgin Nottingham.
Walker, J., Holland, 1928, Transactions of the Thoroton Society XXXII. An Itinerary of Nottingham.
Walker, J. Holland, A short history of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin Nottingham, revised by Revd. C.S. Bayes, 1957.
Williams, Ann & Martin G.H., ed. 2002, Domesday Book: a Complete Translation.
Wood, A.C., 1952, Thoroton Society Transactions LVI. An Episode in the History of St. Mary’s Church Nottingham.
Wood. A.C., 1973, Memorials of the Hollies Family 1493-1656, Gervase Hollies,
Nottingham Journal, Removal of the Galleries, October 4th 1839.
Nottingham Journal, Restoration of St. Mary’s Church, May 19th 1848.
Thanks also to the following people who have given their time and encouragement to this project:
The staff at the Local Studies Library, Angel Row.