For this church:
Nottingham South Deanery
This building was erected following the schism in the Wesleyan Connexion in 1849. The Wesleyan Reformers had already built and opened the Wesleyan Free Church on Shakespeare Street in September 1854, but there were still disagreements among them. Led by Richard Mercer a group left the main body of Reformers and erected this large chapel in Park Row, which opened in April 1855. It was known as ‘The Wesleyan Congregational Free Church’.
It was designed in classical style with six columns and triangular pediment. Known as Mercer’s Chapel, it had a very short life. After temporary use by various denominations it was purchased by the Church of England in 1873 and converted into an Episcopal church.
In spite of stern opposition St Thomas’ was merged with St Matthew’s in 1926 and the building was closed. It was demolished in 1930/31.
Particular thanks to Terry Fry for research on this entry