For this church:
Monuments and Memorials
In the sanctuary on the north side of the altar is a monument to William Willoughby and his wife Anne. The monument is shaped like a large chest, mostly of alabaster and with other stones set into it. Reclining on it are two alabaster figures depicting a woman in 17th-century dress and a man in armour. Above the figures is a canopy supported on two black columns, and this is topped by a large coat of arms in the centre and a smaller coat of arms on either side. In the central coat-of-arms, the quarters with red and gold stripes are the Willoughby coat-of-arms.
The monument has suffered some damage, and in places the original alabaster has been replaced with stone. The edging of the slab on which the figures recline is incomplete and some sections have been replaced, but the following letters are visible:
The stones seem to be in the wrong order, and the last word is probably 'Muskham', as Thoroton in his 'Antiquities' refers to Sir William Willoughby as the son of 'Sir Rotheram Willoughby of Muscombe in the County of Nott. Knight'. The figures’ faces have been damaged and the hands and feet are missing. It has been suggested that the monument was originally placed in the chapel to the south of the chancel, which would have necessitated it being moved when this chapel was closed.
On the wall above the figures is a rectangular black plaque measuring 30 ins x 19 ins (76cm x 48cm), which has an inscription in gold lettering:
On the north wall of the chancel, close to the canopy of the monument, is another black memorial plaque, in a surround of marble or alabaster, with an inscription in gold. It reads:
High up on the south wall of the chancel, opposite the monument, a mount can be seen which is where the Willoughby funerary helmet hung up to 1988.
Plaque in memory of Ethel Annie Simmons
In the side chapel below the window in memory of her husband, is a brass plaque in memory of Mrs Simmons. It reads:
Laverick memorial plaque
On the south wall of the church, between the John the Baptist window and the plain window, is a white marble plaque measuring 32ins (83cm) x 42 ins (108cm), mounted on black slate. The inscription says:
Restoration memorial plaque
On the south side of the chancel arch, at the entrance to the side chapel, is a brass plaque commemorating the restoration of the church during 1949 to 1959.
Two oak boards which carry the numbers of the hymns and psalms have been given in memory of members of the church. Each has a different pattern of carving at the top and down the sides, and a small brass plaque at the bottom. The one to the south of the chancel arch is decorated with roses and acorns, and the plaque reads:
The one to the north of the chancel arch is decorated with crosses and acorns and the plaque reads:
Below this hymn board is another brass plaque inscribed as follows:
Plaque in memory of the Rev R J W Wright
On the north wall of the chancel, above the arches, is a white marble shield mounted on a black marble or slate mount approximately 30 ins' (78cm) square, which reads:
Plaque in memory of Eliza Maria Wright
On the south wall of the chancel, above the arches, directly opposite the Rev R J W Wright’s memorial, is a matching plaque of white marble mounted on black marble or slate approximately 30 ins (78cm) square. The inscription reads:
Board with list of vicars
This large wood panel is on the west side of the south door and it carries a list of vicars of Selston dating back to 1176. At the base of the board is a brass plaque.
To the east of the south door is a notice board with a carved inscription running along the bottom of the frame:
The notice board is modern, probably late 20th century.
Plaque in memory of William Blake
On the north wall of the church is a memorial plaque of marble in the shape of a scroll mounted on black slate. The approximate size of the mount is 39' (100cm) across by 26 ins (66cm) high, and in the bottom left corner is the maker’s name, which is unclear but looks like Fisher Bros, Mansfield. The inscription reads: