Monuments and Memorials
Click the numbers in the key plan for details of the items.
Key to Monuments
There are 23 monuments within the church. The lords of the manor until 1678 were the (de) Strelley family who made the chancel their mausoleum. Their successors the Edges, 1678-1978, made the south transept theirs. There are five other known tombs within the north transept and the nave: there may be others beneath the pew area. They are as follows: numbered chronologically and ordered by type.
1.1405. Sir Sampson de Strelley (d.1390) and his wife Elizabeth Strelley, nee Hercy, (d.1405).
This is acknowledged to be a fine example of an alabaster tomb of the period and sits in the centre of, and dominates, the chancel. It shows the recumbent figures of a knight and his lady (unusually) holding hands. The inscription, which was probably around the lid, is missing and raises questions as to the identity of the occupants of the tomb, since the costumes and armour depicted are of the early 15th century, and it could therefore be that of his son Sir Nicholas de Strelley. However, it is believed to be that of Sir Sampson but built after his death and upon, or after, that of his wife.
The tomb was restored in 1896 when all the loose portions, which had been retained, were reaffixed: some parts, however, were missing.
1501. Sir John de Strelley (d.1501) and his wife Sanchia, nee Willoughby, (d.1500).
This is a large canopied altar tomb with their recumbent effigies laying side by side, their hands in prayer. The figures on each of her shoulders represent their twins (see 4). At his feet are carvings of a monk and a nun telling their beads. Within the canopy are three tabernacles containing carvings of St John the Baptist; the Saviour (or Abraham) with souls clasped to his bosom over part of the Strelley crest; and St. John the Evangelist.
The inscription around the tomb reads:
|Obitus Johis Strelley Armig vicessimo scdo Die Jannuarii Anno Dni.
Mmo cccccmo jo et obits sancie uxoris eis que obiit apud .... Ano Dni. Mo : d. ...
The alabaster is believed to come from Chellaston, near Derby and the tomb one of the finest of its type in the county.
3.1487. Sir Robert Strelley (d.1458) and his wife, Isabel, nee Kemp (d. 1487).
In addition to their figures there is a helmet and mantling and a portion of the crest. There is a single star, one of eighteen originally, and matrices of the plates which represented their children.
His wife was the sister of the cardinal archbishop of Canterbury.
According to Lowe the inscription reads:
|Hic jacet dns Robert Strelley de Strelley milit
et Isabella uxor ei' qui q'dm Robert obiit apud
Strelley XVIIo die m's Januarii anno d'ni millio
CCCCo LXXXVII et antedca Isabella obiit apud
Oxton et sepulta est Cancella eccli'ae de Strelley
VII die ffebruarii Ao dni mcccclviii quor
aiabs ppiciet de' Amen
14.1766. William Goodday (d. 1788 aged 79) and his wife Ruth (d. 1766 aged 61).
This is a small brass set at the eastern side of the larger brass (3). The inscription reads:
Underneath lye ye REMAINS
of RUTH the WIFE of
RECTOR of this CHURCH;
SHE departed this LIFE
the 15 DAY of JULY 1766
Also the Remains of the said
Who had been 54 Years Rector
of this and Bilborow Parish.
Who died the 21st of May 1788
2.1421. John de Strelley (d. 1421).
The alabaster slab bears the Strelley shield at the top and carries a barely legible inscription around the tomb.
The inscription has been recorded as reading:
|Hic jacet Johes objit ... [s]ancti Petri ad vincula. Anno dm. 1421 et Anno Regni Henrici Quinti post Conquestum Angliae non cujus animie propitietur Deum Amen.
4.Before 1500. This is a small incised alabaster slab with the figures of two children, James and Sanchia de Strelley, twin children of Sir John de Strelley (2) who pre-deceased their father.
The year of death is illegible.
6.1560. An alabaster slab to Sir Nicholas de Strelley (d. 1560).
However, Lowe believes this may be the oldest monument in the church, second half of the 14th century, and the tomb of Sir Sampson de Strelley.
7.1438. An alabaster slab similar to that of Nicholas de Strelley but any image or inscription has almost completely worn away.
Lowe, writing in 1882, discerned two figures: one possibly a knight, and the other, better defined, a lady in a long flowing robe with several children kneeling at her feet. He is likely to be Sir Robert de Strelley son of Sir Nicholas de Strelley and his second wife Joane (Stanhope).
8.1684. Ralph Edge (d. 1684, aged 63).
He purchased the estates from the Strelley family. He was a lawyer and a mayor of Nottingham and died without issue. The inscription reads:
To the Memory of
RALPH EDGE Esqr
[...] Eminent Attorney at Law, who was sometime
[T]OWN CLERK, upwards of twenty Years,
[A]LDERMAN, thrice MAYOR of the
[Co]rporation of Nottingham and Justice
[of] the Peace for this COUNTY. He was
[de]scended from a younger Branch of a
[Fa]mily that [...] as many Years seated at HORTON
[In t]he COUNTY of STAFFORD; and married
[AM]Y Ye Daughter of NICHOLAS CHARLTON of
[CHI]LLWELL Esqre but died without
[iss]ue the fourth of September 1684 in
[the] sixty third Year of his Age and was
interred according to the direction
of his Last
WILL and TESTAMENT
9.1696. A small stone slab to William Taylor (d. 1696) and situated in the north transept.
10.1696. A similar stone slab to 9 to Valentine Taylor (d. 1696) in the north transept.
11.1699. William Taylor (d. 1699, aged 43).
A large slab inscribed with an arch enclosing the inscription.
12.1704. Nathaneel Osbeston (d.1704, aged 70).
A small sandstone slab.
13.1714. Elizabeth Edge (d. 1741, aged 22), first wife of Ralph Edge (d. 1766, aged 78) and his second wife Jane (d. 1754, aged ?9).
There is also a wall plaque to Ralph Edge, number 19.
15.1790. Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Webb Edge, d. 1803, aged 43; John Webb Edge her son, d. 1790, aged 15 months and Cassandra Gell Webb Edge, her daughter, d. 1803, aged 7.
16.1816. Mrs Barlow Evetts, wife of the rector, (d. 1816, aged 63)
17.1819. Thomas Webb Edge (d.1819, aged 63) and his son John Webb Edge (d.1842, aged 51).
The inscription reads:
Beneath this Stone
lieth the Body of
THOMAS WEBB EDGE Esq
He Died June 21, 1819.
Aged 63 Years.
Also the Body of his
Younger Son the Reverend
JOHN WEBB EDGE.
For more than Twenty two Years
Rector of Strelley and Bilborough
He was Born 24th Novr 1790
and Died 30th April 1842.
18.1837. John Dodsley (d. 1837, aged 81) and his wife Ann (d. 1847, aged 79)
24.Cross slab probably dating from the 15th century (see Archaeology for further details).
19.1766. Ralph Edge (d. 1766, aged 78).
In hopes of a blessed Immortality
The Remains of RALPH EDGE Esqr.
Born 21st of August 1689. Died 26th of October 1766
In the 78th Year of his Age.
To whose Memory his most Grateful Grandson
THOMAS EDGE Esqr.
Hath caused this Monument
to be Erected
20.1803. Thomas Webb Edge (d. 1819, aged 65) and his wife Elizabeth (d. 1803, aged 43).
OF THOMAS WEBB EDGE ESQRE
WHO DIED JUNE THE 21ST 1819,
LIKEWISE OF ELIZABETH HIS WIFE,
DAUGHTER OF FRANCIS HURT ESQRE
OF ALDERWASLEY DERBYSHIRE
WHO DIED MAY THE 7TH 1803,
21.1931. Thomas Lewis Kekewich Edge (d.1931, aged 74).
IN MEMORY OF
THOMAS LEWIS KEKEWICH EDGE, V.D., D.L., J.P.
BORN OCTOBER 28. 1856, DIED AUGUST 21. 1931.
CHURCHWARDEN OF STRELLEY FOR 37 YEARS.
REPRESENTATIVE OF SOUTHWELL DIOCESE IN
THE CHURCH ASSEMBLY ALDERMAN AND
VICE CHAIRMAN OF THE NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
COUNTY COUNCIL. AGRICULTURALIST, METEOROLOGIST,
22.1978. Emily Mary Edge (d.1978, aged 87).
In Memory of
EMILY MARY EDGE
1891 – 1978
daughter of Frances Etheldra
& Thomas Lewis Kekewich Edge
Lady of the Manor of Strelley
23.1926. Frances Etheldreda Edge (d.1926), wife of Thomas Lewis Kekewich Edge.
The south transept was converted into a chapel dedicated to her named saints, St. Francis of Assisi and St. Etheldreda and completed in 1927.
An inscription on the panelling to the south of the altar reads:
THIS CHAPEL WAS ADORNED
IN MEMORY OF
THE BELOVED WIFE OF
THOMAS L.K. EDGE
WHO DIED 10TH OCT: 1926.
ON WHOSE SOUL MAY
THE LORD HAVE MERCY.
ST ETHELDREDA’S DAY 1927.
REMEMBER ALSO THE
GALLANT MEN WHO FELL
IN THE GREAT WAR