For this church:
Newark & Southwell Deanery
The building is 12th century on the ground floor, then 13th century at the bell level, and Perpendicular at the top.
Built of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and embattled south west tower with pinnacles and 3 bells. In the north wall is one 13th century window; the south aisle windows with intersecting tracery of c1300. The east window of 1878 is by Kempe. At the millenium a new stained glass window depicting the famous maypole celebrations using Christian symbols was installed.
There is a monument to Elizabeth Peel (d1851) with a well-carved rose by Edwin Smith of Sheffield. Also an altar tomb of 1651.
In the chancel figures over the reredos are from J L Pearson’s now-demolished Church of St Bartholomew, Nottingham. The mechanism of the clock, made by Richard Roe of Epperstone in 1699, is of historical importance.
The church was much restored and given a new chancel by Ewan Christian in 1878-9.
Particular thanks to Richard Bates for research on this entry and to Geoff Buxton for the photographs.