For this church:
Wilford St Wilfrid
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. Late C14, possibly founded by Gervase de Wilford c1361. Chancel c1430, clerestory and tower later C15. Aisles rebuilt and vestry added 1890-91 by Naylor & Sale of Derby. Restored 1868 and 1890. Nave reroofed 1935, chancel reroofed 1960. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. Decorated and Perpendicular styles. PLAN: nave and chancel under continuous roof, clerestory, vestry and aisles, south porch, north-west tower. EXTERIOR: plinth, crenellated parapets except to south aisle. Chancel, north aisle and vestry have buttresses topped with pinnacles. Chancel, 2 bays, has pointed arched east window, 3-lights. To south, 2 flat-headed windows, 2-lights, and pointed arched door with double shafts. To north, a similar window. All the openings have hood moulds. Nave west gable has a renewed window, 3-lights, and clerestory has to south 4 windows, 2-lights, all flat-headed. North aisle has two flat-headed windows, 2-lights, and single light west window, renewed. Vestry, to north east, has 2 smaller flat-headed windows to north, and a renewed pointed arched window to east, 3-lights. All these windows have panel tracery. Square north porch to vestry, with segment-arched door and wrought-iron gates. South aisle 4 bays, has angle buttresses. To south, flanking the porch, pointed arched windows, 2-lights, and to east, a similar 3-light window with intersecting tracery. East end has a decorated style window, 3-lights, renewed. West end has a single lancet. South porch, gabled, has pointed arched doorway with niche above, and single slit lights each side. Inside, restored stone benches, C19 wrought-iron gates, roof and inner doorway. Square tower, 2 stages, has buttresses and crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles, renewed. C19 chamfered west doorway, and small lights to north and above. Bell stage has a 2-light pointed arched opening each side. INTERIOR: scraped 1890. Chancel has double chamfered arch and panelled cross beam ceiling. North side has archway and 2 doors, segment-headed, with organ and reset traceried screen, 1921, perhaps with medieval fragments. East end has early C20 panelled reredos, and stained glass east window c1864, flanked by niches. South side has memorial stained glass window, c1870, by O'Connor to Henry Kirke White. Ogee piscina, triple sedilia, restored 1868, and doorway. Nave has arcades, 3 bays, with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches, and renewed cross beam roof. 3 unglazed clerestory windows to north, covered by the aisle, and 4 to south. West end has stained glass window c1891. North aisle has double chamfered arches at each end, the west one with a traceried screen. Stained glass windows, 1915 and 1916. Vestry has panelling, fireplace and stair turret. South aisle has stained glass windows, late C19 and early C20. Reset stoup, C13, at east end. Fittings mainly late C19 and early C20. Recut octagonal font, possibly C14. Memorials include large slate tablets with crests and putti, signed W Chales of Wymeswold, 1732 and 1755. Pedimented marble and slate tablet, 1818, by Walkers of Nottingham. 2 marble and slate war memorial tablets, C20 with sword between them. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 272-273; Church guide: Wright A: Wilford: 1978-).
Listing NGR: SK5663337797
Gazebo. 1757. Burnt out 1976, restored 1980. Red brick, with pyramidal plain tile roof with finial. Capped side wall stack. Dentillated eaves. Single storey plus basement, hexagonal plan. Elliptical arched doorway and 4 barred windows, one to each face, all with brick arches and cornice keystones. Segment-arched door to basement. INTERIOR rendered, with mainly original roof. The basement was formerly used as a mortuary for drowned bodies. (Wilford church guide: Wright A: Wilford: 1978-).
Listing NGR: SK5662737829
Chest tomb and railing. 1761. Signed Charles (probably W Charles of Wymeswold, Leics), to Captain John Deane. Red brick chest with ashlar top and base, enclosed in a wrought-iron railing with corner posts and finials. Inscribed slate tablet on north side. Captain Deane held a commission in the Russian navy until 1720, wrote a history of the Russian fleet, held diplomatic posts in Flanders and Ostend, and acted throughout as a British spy.
Listing NGR: SK5664637778
Churchyard gateway, wall and railings. c1868. 2 square ashlar gate piers with pyramidal caps. Wrought-iron overthrow with lamp. Cast-iron double gates, and single gate to right. Short ashlar wall to left. Plain railing to right, bordering the churchyard, approx 15m long. Probably contemporary with the restoration of the church, 1868. Included for group value.Listing NGR: SK5662837752