Wysall
Holy Trinity

Clock

The Glebe Terrier of 11 June 1777 makes mention of a clock, for which the parishioners paid the sum of six shillings per annum. No further information regarding this has been discovered.

The current clock was given to the church by grateful residents of what was named a “blessed village”. Wysall earned this description due to the fact that the twelve of its menfolk who served in the First World War all returned safely from the conflict. There is an inscription on a dedicatory brass plaque near the main door which records:

WYSALL HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

THE CHURCH CLOCK WAS DONATED BY
THE VILLAGERS AS A THANKSGIVING
MEMORIAL FOR THE SAFE RETURN OF THE
TWELVE MEN FROM THE VILLAGE WHO
SERVED IN THE ARMED FORCES DURING
THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918.

J. BALDOCK, E.BRYANS, J.W. DERRICK
A.ELDING, R.A. FRECKINGHAM, J. HALFORD
H. HALFORD, H. WADE, H. WILSON, G. WILSON
C. YOUNG, H. YOUNG

THANKS BE TO GOD.

In late 1973, the following appeal was issued:

WYSALL MEMORIAL CLOCK

In thanksgiving for those who fought in the 1914 – 1918 war the village put this clock in the church tower.

It has stopped! Your contributions of thanksgiving for the sacrifices of 1914 – 1918 (there were none) and 1935 -1945 are needed to make it a working memorial.

The appeal was, apparently, a success and the clock restored to working order, but further restoration was necessary in 2009 to restore the chimes and to improve the working of the clock. The mechanisms, that had been replaced in the 1973 repair work, were restored rather than replaced as there are only a few of this type remaining in the country.

The clock face The dedication plaque The restored
clock mechanism

The gear train
behind the clock face