For this church:
Aslockton St Thomas
The present church comprises nave with western bell turret, south porch, south aisle, south transept, organ chamber, chancel with north vestry. It is entirely of one phase, built in 1891 in the 13th century style, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield (1829-99), with the exception of the northern extension, constructed in 2010.
Construction is of red brick with exterior stone facing in rock-faced ashlar. The nave south arcade has two round, ashlar piers with square chamfered plinths, moulded round bases, octagonal capitals, and chamfered and rebated brick arches.
Timbers and roofs
The bellframe is an Elphick 'A', Pickford Group 9.A., external western turret of 1891 in stone.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
The standing fabric of the church of St Thomas dates entirely from a single phase of building in 1891 on a site that was open field space in 1884. There is a large northern addition of 2010, which serves as a hall and meeting room. It is expected that below-ground stratigraphy will be uniformly that of the construction phase of 1891 with minor later disturbance.
The standing fabric of the entire building has importance as a complete late Victorian village church.
The churchyard is rectangular, with the church positioned centrally. Burials are confined to a dedicated area to the east of the church building.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground pre-19th century archaeology in the church and churchyard is considered to be LOW. The standing fabric of the church is of a single phase of 1891 and the potential for late Victorian archaeology in the standing fabric is considered to be HIGH.
Exterior: Burial numbers are expected to be average since 1891.
Interior: Stratigraphy under the entire interior of the building is expected to comprise construction layers dating from 1891, with minor later disturbance.