For this church:
Carlton-in-Lindrick St John
Features and Fittings
The main altar is twentieth century.
A set of modern sanctuary chairs are normally located behind it.
There is a 13th Century double piscina (now blocked) in the south sanctuary wall near the main altar.
There is a recess in the north sanctuary wall (currently partly hidden behind a bench), perhaps formerly containing an effigy.
The Royal Coat of Arms of George IV (1820-30) hangs on the south chancel wall between the two hatchments.
Set in the wall above the south chancel door (visible from the vestry side) is a carved stone, acting in part as a lintel. It appears to be an early medieval carving, perhaps representing the heavens. Above it is an unidentified coat of arms.
Until the vestry and porch were built in the 19th Century this face of the stonework was outside, so it has seen some weathering.
A large archway connects the chancel with the Becket chapel. On either side is an opening, each of which appears to be a lancet window, presumably dating from before the building of the chapel. The arch cuts into both of these, indicating that they are earlier.
A sculpture of the Crucifixion hangs on the north side of the chancel arch.
Two carved wooden clergy stalls, probably twentieth century, stand at the entrance to the chancel.
The Becket Chapel altar is 20th Century. (The photograph is taken in Eastertide, and shows behind the altar a symbolic cross with crown of thorns.)
An aumbry, surmounted by a modern artistic lamp, is located in the west wall of the chapel. The aumbry recess is quite possibly medieval.
Books of Remembrance
There are two Books of Remembrance in the Becket Chapel. One records those who gave their lives in the Second World War (and is listed as a War Memorial), the other is in current use.
The Becket stone altar is at the east end of the north aisle.
Above the altar is a carving which was discovered during the restoration of the church in 1836.
The north aisle ceiling is particularly spectacular, and has recently been restored to show clearly the medieval bosses. Two extra bosses have been attached to the south wall of the aisle above the light fittings.
A twentieth century open wooden pulpit stands at the north east corner of the nave.
There is a simple, twentieth century wooden lectern. A plaque on it reads:
Like the north aisle, the nave roof is marked with decorated ceiling bosses. Drawings of these, together with what they represent, are collected together in a frame on the west wall.
On the west wall of the nave is a plan of the church showing the different historical phases of development.
At the east end of the south aisle stands a tub-shaped font with wood cover and cylindrical pedestal and stepped base, probably of the Norman period.
(The church also has a smaller modern font.)
The south aisle contains a stone altar, possibly of the twelfth century.
Above the south aisle altar is a triptych painting on wood depicting the descent from the cross, flanked by the Visitation on the left, and the Presentation in the Temple on the right. This is a copy of one by Rubens, the original of which hangs in Antwerp Cathedral.
A list of rectors and other parish officers is attached to the wall of the south aisle.