Kirkby-in-Ashfield
St Wilfrid

Glass

Click the numbers in the key plan for details of the windows.

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13

14

Key to Windows

1There is a fine east window in the chancel, made by James Powell and Sons of Whitefriars, which was the gift of the Sixth Duke of Portland. It has five main lights, compared with the three in the window which it replaced. The subject is the Te Deum.

2This is a two-light window. The light to the east (on the left) is in memory of Ralph Harrison (Reader 1983-1990) and shows a reader’s insignia and the coat of arms of Southwell Diocese, whilst the light to the west is in memory of Wilfred Reeve (Reader 1963-1990) and shows a reader’s insignia and the coat of arms of Derby Diocese.

Ralph Harrison became a member of St Wilfrid’s in 1948, and from then until his untimely death in 1990 at the age of 62, he served in many capacities: PCC for 31 years, 26 of them as Church Warden. From 1966 to 1990 he was instrumental in running a flourishing Sunday School. In 1983 he became a licensed reader. It was said of him that: “Always he strove to get across the message of the Gospel in which his faith was rooted”. In the window a roundel depicting a man working on a tiled roof is surrounded with the text:

WE PRAY THEE O LORD TO PURIFY OUR HEARTS
THAT THEY MAY BE WORTHY TO BECOME THY DWELLING PLACE

The date following his name (presumably the date of his death) is July 17 1990.

Less is currently known about Wilfred Reeve, but the roundel in his section of the window depicts a man playing an organ sourrounded by the text (from Psalm121.1):

I WILL LIFT UP MINE EYES
UNTO THE HILLS FROM WHENCE COMETH MY HELP

He is given the date Nov 18 1990.

3This window, showing the Good Shepherd and his sheep, is by Andrew Stoddart of Nottingham and dates from 1939.

An inscription in the lower section of the window reads:

THIS WINDOW IS ERECTED BY THE RELATIVES AND FRIENDS
IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES WILLIAM SMITH
RECTOR OF THIS PARISH 1921-1937

4This is a three-light window in the east wall of St Hilda’s Chapel. It depicts the appearance of the angels to the women at the empty tomb of Christ and carries the words (from Luke 24.5,6):

Why seek ye the living among the dead
He is not here
but is risen

On a brass plate fixed to the windowsill are the words:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF ANN, WIDOW OF WILLIAM HEYWOOD PAULSON OF MANSFIELD,
AND ELDEST DAUGHTER OF GEORGE HODGKINSON OF THIS PARISH, WHO DIED JUNE 2ND 1891, AGED 79 YEARS,
AND OF EDITH LUCY PAULSON, THEIR YOUNGEST DAUGHTER, WHO DIED MARCH 6TH 1910 AGED 64 YEARS.

S.MATTHEW CHAP. XXV V.40

5This window is in the south wall of the St Hilda Chapel. It is a two-light window, with the image of St Hilda in the easternmost light and the image of St Wilfrid in the other.

Beside the head of St Hilda is a representation of Whitby Abbey, where she was abbess, and beneath her is a drawing of the present Church. Beneath St Wilfrid are the words:

Sacred to the memory of
James Butterwick M.A. rector of
this Parish 1899-1921. Died 8 Aug
1924 and of Sarah Elizabeth his
wife Died 5 October 1930.

6This window is designed as an additional War Memorial. Inscribed on a tablet below the window are the words:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF KIRKBY-IN-ASHFIELD WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 THE ABOVE WINDOW IS PLACED BY THE LOCAL DETACHMENT OF THE BRITISH RED CROSS

The main section of the window depicts Christ receiving the homage of a soldier. Inscribed across both lights are the words (from John 15.13):

Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends

7In this window the eastern light carries an image of Jesus the Carpenter and inscribed below the image are the words:

He
hath
showed thee, O man,
what is good; and what
doth the Lord require
of thee, but to do justly,
and to love mercy,
and to walk humbly
with thy God?
+

and below is the source of the quotation:

Micah
VI
8

The western light depicts an scene representing local industries, with mills, factories, chimneys, pit-head gear and railway lines.

8This window is inscribed:

THIS WINDOW WAS DONATED BY THE ROVER CREW AND SCOUT GROUP COMMITTEE IN MEMORY OF CECIL VALENTINE EVANS, GROUP SCOUTMASTER 1948-1961

The eastern light: carries motto “Be Prepared”. The western light shows the flag of St George.

9This window is not marked and is filled with common glass.

10This is a double lancet window under the Tower. It depicts the Presentation of Christ in the Temple. In the lancet to the left, the Virgin Mary carries a small cage with two doves in it. On the right, the Christ-Child is held in the arms of old Simeon. A panel at the foot of the left-hand light carries the words:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND
TO BEAUTIFY HIS CHURCH

A panel at the foot of the right-hand light carries the words:

THIS WINDOW IS GIVEN BY THE
WOMEN’S BIBLE CLASS 1911.

11This window is not marked and is filled with common glass.

12This window is filled with common glass. Inscribed on the glass at the foot of the window:

In memory of Arthur Yeomans, Curate of this Parish 1964-1966. This window is given by his family.

13This is filled with common glass. Inscribed on the glass at the foot of the window:

IN MEMORY OF EDNA WITH THANKSGIVING

14This is filled with common glass and carries no inscription or dedication.