View of the church from the south-west

Misson

St John the Baptist

Newark Archdeaconry

Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery

Introduction

The Church of St John the Baptist, Misson, is an embattled building consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and west tower with crocketed pinnacles and a clock and 6 bells. It dates mainly from the 14th century, but parts of the chancel are of the 13th century.

It is built of ashlar, random rubble and brick and partly rendered. There is a nave with aisles of three bays, octagonal piers on the south, circular on the north. The south porch is Perpendicular, stone-vaulted with stone benches.

The east window has four 16th century round-headed lancets, the west window three square-headed ones. There is also a nave clerestory of three bays. There is a 15th century square piscina and a font (1662) with octagonal plinth and bowl. The pulpit was restored using 17th century panelling; the tester bears roses and fleur-de-lys.

The church was restored in 1882 when the gallery and organ were removed. In 1886 the tower arch was opened out.

In 1894 the church was struck by lightning, the tower damaged, the clock destroyed and the bells partly melted and broken.  A restoration followed. A new clock was added and the bells recast.

An oak chancel screen was erected in 1906, and the Lady Chapel restored as a memorial chapel to the Great War fallen in 1920.

Particular thanks to Timothy Southall for research on this entry

Work has been done on this entry but some pages are incomplete. If you can add information to help complete the entry, please contact our Research Manager.