For this church:
A single bell was housed in the tower. It was originally cast by Hedderley’s in 1791 for use in a cotton mill owned by Henry Green located in nearby Board Marsh. It was purchased for the sum of £20 and referred to as ‘Cotton Tom’. The inscription on the bell read:
When St James was demolished the bell was removed, recast and installed in St. Matthew’s Church, Talbot Street, Nottingham. In 1956 that church was also closed and demolished, but the bell was transferred to the new St. Matthew's Church, Bestwood, Nottingham.