For this church:
Nottingham St Peter
Monuments and Memorials
The list below gives the names and dates of those commemorated in wall-monuments in the church. The monuments, and particularly the persons commemorated, are described in more detail in the booklet The monuments of St Peter’s Church Nottingham.
Monuments no longer in existence but referred to in earlier sources include that of the Rev George Cotes (d.1640), whose monument was ‘broke into pieces’ when the chancel was being repaired in the early 18th Century. and William Ayscough (d.1719), the first Nottingham printer.
Note: Monuments 37 and 39 to 42 were formerly in St James’s Church, Standard Hill, and were transferred to St Peter’s in 1933. This explains why John Burnett Stuart (1775-1847) is described as ‘first incumbent of this church’!
There are a large number of monuments on the north chancel wall at the eastern end.
A substantial black and white marble memorial commemorating John Tempest (1701-52), his wife Elizabeth (née Scrimshire; d. 1784), and his brother Robert (1702-55). The bottom of the memorial contains the arms of the Tempest family.
A simple marble oval immediately below that of the Tempest family. The two girls commemorated, Anne Plumbe (b. and d. 1765) and her sister Tempest (1770-89), were grand-daughters of John Tempest.
3 A white marble memorial to Thomas Foster Gimson (1791-1876). He became wealthy as head of one of Nottingham’s lace manufacturing businesses, but is described on this monument as “a most liberal contributor to the public Charities of the Town, and privately a kind friend to the poor.”
Alas, how much less it is to weep over your remains than to remember you.
5 Roe family
A fairly plain white marble memorial with a simple inscription to Martin Roe (1770-1836) and his wife Salacia (née Stretton; 1784-1838).
Below the Roe family memorial are six much smaller metal plaques, some of which commemorate people also named on other monuments.
6 A small brass to John Tempest - the same John Tempest commemorated above.
7 Dorothy Bigsby (1771-99). She is also commemorated on a more major memorial noted below. (This brass plaque may originally have been a marker for her actual grave.)
8 John Renshaw (1772-1828), an attorney-at-law and a man of property (described here as “Gent”). A small brass memorial.
9 Drury family
This is a small copper memorial commemorating William Drury (d.1677), his son William (d.1697), his grandson William (d.1711), and his great-grandson Charles (1704-53) and his wife Ann (née Palmer; d. 1763). The Drurys were an influential family in 17th and 18th Century Nottingham. The eldest William being active in the Civil War (on the side of Parliament), the second being accused at one stage of organising a riot, the third being Mayor of Nottingham in 1707. Several of the family served as churchwardens of St Peter’s.
10A small brass to the Rev Samuel Martin (1743-82), Rector of St Peter’s .
11Another small brass plaque, this being dediacted to Elizabeth Martin (d.1779 and wife of the Rev Samuel Martin commemorated above).
13 The Rev Robert White Almond (1786-1853). A decorative white marble plaque to a man who was Rector of St Peter’s for 39 years. He was clearly a much loved and respected minister.
Two abutting memorials, in somewhat differing styles, to the two wives of John Locke of Hertfordshire - Margaret Saunders (1605-33), and Jane Ellis (1606-37). Or perhaps they should be considered as a single monument, given the uniformity of the bordering pillars. These black memorials in alabaster are the oldest in the church, and probably the most magnificent.
16 The Rev George Edgcome (d.1906), Rector of St Peter’s from 1870. A fairly small by striking memorial carrying a malachite cross on a grren, gold and blue glass mosaic background.
A memorial in dark grey marble with touches of gold, and an inscription in Latin to the Rev John Abson (1689-1749) and his wife Anne (née Cotes; d.1725). John Abson was actually Rector of St Nicholas’ Church, but the congregation of St Nicholas’ was welcomed to St Peter’s in the mid 17th Century, when the old St Nicholas’ Church was destroyed in the Civil War.
19 Dorothy Bigsby (1771-99). A simple oval in white marble. (Also in the church, noted above, is a small brass plaque commemorating the same lady.) Dorothy Bigsby with her husband Robert and family were much involved with St Peter’s. Robert was Registrar for the Archdeaconry of Nottingham, and one of his brothers, Jeremiah, became Rector of St Peter’s.
20 The Rev Edward Chappell (1692-1767), and his sister Judith (d.1767). A grey and white marble monument with touches of gold and blue. Edward Chappell was Rector of the church from 1725 until his death, a total of 43 years.
A marble memorial, white on a grey background, commemorates Thomas Hill (1737-1814), his nephew Joseph Salthouse (1754-1817) and Joseph’s daughter Elleanor Salthouse (1800-22).
25 A relatively small marble memorial, though decorated with his coat of arms, to Francis Braithwaite (1764-1813), his wife Ann (1759-1802) and four of their children who died in infancy. Francis Braithwaite was a hosier in Nottingham and churchwarden of St Peter’s.
A striking marble monument with intricate lettering, as though on a hanging banner. It is dedicated to Benjamin Rickards (1639-75) and Thomas Trigge (1654-1705); husbands of Elizabeth (née Parker; d. 1720).
A dark grey marble oval with gold lettering commemorating John Tricks Spalding (1844-1924) and his sons William Arthur (1872-1963) and Edward Harold (1873-1955). John Tricks Spalding was Mayor of Nottingham and churchwarden of St Thomas’ Church. Edward Harold Spalding served as High Sherriff of Nottinghamshire in 1951.
On the south wall, just fitting between two windows, is a marble memorial, white in a black surround, to Mary Burden (née Nevill; 1708-76), her husband Alexander (1711-36) and their son Alexander (1736-53).
A marble memorial to John Sherbrooke (1675-1760) and other members of his family. The placing of this memorial over the south door now makes it difficult to view because of the modern internal porch.
31 A marble oval within dark grey and white pillared surround commemorates the Rev John Gregory (d.1783). John Gregory was Rector of Norwell in Nottinghamshire.
32A small brass plate affixed to the panelling near the font is a memorial to Mary Elizabeth Gowthorpe (d.1934). The work at this time at the west end of the church, including the porch ceiling and the removal of the font, was paid for in her memory by her brother.
West End of Nave
A marble monument consisting of a fairly simple plaque surmounted by an urn decorated in gold and blue, all on a black surround. It commemorates Philip and Ursula Launder, their son Philip who died in infancy, and another son Philip Watson Launder, described as “Leiutenant” [sic] in the Royal Navy and who died in 1798 in the Battle of the Nile.
38 Charlotte Elizabeth, Lady Gardner (1784-1811), daughter of Robert Smith, 1st Lord Carrington and wife of Admiral Alan Hyde Gardner. An elaborately carved marble memorial by John Bacon, Junior, depicting a grieving widower weeping over a portrait of his wife while cradling his daughter, and with his young son clasping his knees. This is perhaps the most significant of the 19th Century monuments in the church.
The monument being over the door, and now the modern interior porch, it really needs to be viewed from amongst the pews.
39 A large bronze panel by Sir George Frampton, RA commemorates the Rev Lawrence Wilkins (1861-1902), Vicar of St James’ Church. It was moved to St Peter’s in 1933.
40 Originally erected in St James’ Church is a carved memorial to Catherine Carey Wallis (1884-1904), daughter of G H Wallis, first curator of the Nottingham Castle Museum. Memorial by Albert Tofts, ARA. (Albert Tofts also designed the former reredos.)
41 A marble plaque surmounted by a gold wreath commemorates members of the Sykes family: Robert Sykes (1747-1821), his sister Jane Wainman (1752-1836), his 2nd wife Catherine (1762-1838), and their infant grandson Richard Sykes Dufty (d.1823). Originally erected in St James’ Church.
42 An oval white marble plaque on a black surround commemorates the Rev John Burnett Stuart (1775-1847), first Vicar of St James’ Church, Nottingham. (St James’ is of course “this church” named on the memorial.)Like the other memorials from St James’ Church this was moved to St Peter’s in 1933 when the parishes were amalgamated on the closure of St James’.
In addition to the wall monyments listed above (and the War Memorials) St Peter’s has a number of brass plaques set into the floor, the largest number being in the north aisle. The Monuments booklet lists 32 of these.
There are also a number of floor stones. Most of these are now difficult to read, some are broken, and some have had other things fixed on top of them. Some of them may have been outdoor grave stones before being used for flooring the church.