For this church:
Ordsall All Hallows
On October 16th 1949, the same day that the War Memorial window was dedicated, a new Garden of Remembrance was dedicated. Wreaths were laid by relatives and official representatives. The Last Post and Reveille was sounded by trumpeters of the Royal Horse Artillery. The section of the graveyard chosen had no burials recorded and although off the main path, had easy access from the gate and church. The grass was cut, and a wooden cross of the same pattern as those of the War Graves Commission, was set in a concrete bed. The cross was made by Mr F. Murfin. In 1951 this was replaced by a grey granite Celtic Cross, quarried and carved in Cornwall, a replica of the famous 1,000 year old St Columba's Cross. It was completed with a concrete path, surround posts and ornamental chains (these are now missing). The cross bears the inscription:
The work was made possible by an anonymous donor, who lost relatives in the two wars and who formerly resided at Ordsall. A churchyard service was held on Easter Day – when according to custom, the names of those buried in the churchyard during the past year was read. At the same time the Garden of Remembrance to the Fallen was declared complete, and prayers of remembrance, and dedication was offered.
The names of those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the Great War are not recorded, although the War Memorial in the churchyard at Nottingham St Mary’s records that 51 died from the parish of Ordsall. Research is ongoing to recover details of those men. The Commonwealth War graves photographic project records 20 war related burials and memorials in Ordsall churchyard covering both First and Second World Wars. There are two Commonwealth War Grave headstones relating to the First World War, 13 relating to the Second World War, the rest are commemorated on relatives' memorials and are buried elsewhere. A further such memorial has been found which would bring the total to 21. In 1961 a gift was made to the church by Mr and Mrs Plews – a scarlet book containing a list of the Second World War dead. It was handwritten by Mrs Plews who was a lecturer in art at Eaton Hall Teacher Training College. There is also a window in the church dedicated to the Second World War dead (see details in the 'Glass' section).
In 1949 the distinctive Portland stone grave markers replaced wooden crosses that had marked the burial places.