For this church:
Erected in 1895, this large solid red brick church with stone dressings is a curious mixture of Early English style and Arts and Crafts influence. It was designed by Naylor & Sale of Derby.
It consists of a nave, chancel, aisle, porch and squat south-east tower (erected in 1912) with battlements, looking more like a castle than a church. It contains one bell by J Taylor & Co, which replaced two small bells. On the roof are slate tiles.
There are six lancets on the north side of the nave, seven pairs of lancets on the south side. At the east end is a five-light lancet, a three-light one at the west end. The porch at the south east corner is large and top-heavy, built of brick, stone and black wood with a circular quatrefoil window to the side. There are good iron hinges on the door.
Particular thanks to Dr Chris Brooke and Amy Calladine for research on this entry