View of the church

Retford

St Alban

Newark Archdeaconry

Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery

Introduction

St Alban’s church, Retford (Ordsall) was built at the start of the 20th century and completed in three sections (1901, 1912, and 1931). The different sections were added as and when funds became available. From the 1930s to the 1950s it was thriving, though like so many others membership shrank steadily through the following decades. For a while in the 1990s it took on new life as a local community arts centre, but it closed in 2003.

In 2008 the building was severely damaged by fire, having previously been subject to vandalism.

Thanks to B Hilton for the photograph
(Copyright B Hilton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence).

This church is currently being researched, a full entry will appear in due course.