For this church:
Apart from the hoard of medieval coins found at Attenborough in the 1950's, artifacts from the Neolithic period through to the Roman period have been found in the adjacent gravel pits. During the 20th century, churchyard finds have included an Anglesey penny (known to have been in use in the 1700's) and a 16th century German coin which was unearthed when the foundations were excavated to introduce a French drain for the purpose of alleviating dampness in the stonework.
Earliest core nave fabric is C13th-C14th though with C12th origins
West tower is C14-15th
Chancel C15th much rebuilt 1869
Significant Interior Features
Rood loft stair
Door of C12/13thC
South nave arcade capitals
C14th, carved animal heads and foliate ornament
Wall painting at west end of S.aisle known to exist, prob. C17th/C18th
Timbers and roofs
Cast-iron, low sided frame, by Taylors of Loughborough 1934, altered in 1953.
Not scheduled for preservation Grade 5.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
No archaeological excavations have taken place but casual finds include a hoard of medieval coins, located to the north-east of the church, in the 1950s, and individual coins of varying dates in the churchyard found during watching briefs.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard is considered moderate-high and below the present interior floors is considered to be high.
Exterior: Burials expected, multiperiod. Areas surrounding building, especially the chancel, may be disturbed by C19th restoration, although medieval stratigraphy is expected to survive everywhere.
Interior:Extent of modern disturbance is conjectural. Whole is likely to be a highly complex mixture of C12th-C15th building layers with unknown survival of earlier deposits beneath, punctuated by late medieval graves and post-medieval vaults.
Walls:Mixture of C13th-C15th, and C19th rebuilding.