Brinsley St James

Official Listing Description

SK 44 NE



(west side)

Church of St. James
the Great

Grade II

Parish church. 1837. Chancel 1877. Plain and rockfaced ashlar. Plain tile and slate gabled roofs. Partial plinth, crenellated parapets and gable, coped east gable with cross, ashlar side wall stack. windows are single lancets with iron lattice glazing. Nave with 2 west towers. Chancel, vestry and south porch. Nave west end has 3 single lancets and above, blank trefoil. Flanked by single octagonal crenellated towers, each with 4 chamfered openings. North tower has door in return angle. Nave, 4 bays, has buttresses and 4 lancets on each side. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north lean-to organ chamber with a lancet in return angle to east. East end has 2 pairs of corner buttresses and 3 stepped single lancets. South side has a buttress and 2 lancets. Vestry, single storey, extended mid C20, has coped gable. Windows are stone mullioned casements. Buttressed west side has casement and shouldered door. North and east sides have each a casement. Gabled south porch has pointed south doorway with traceried overlight. Above, blank trefoil. To east, a casement. Inner door has chamfered Tudor arched head. Aisleless nave has strutted queen post roof, partly ceiled. North side has Tudor arched doorway. Chancel has moulded and rebated arch with hood mould and stops, and round imposts on corbels. Crested wrought iron War Memorial screen, 1919. North side has chamfered organ opening and to its right, chamfered aumbry with hood mould. East end has elaborate C14 style War Memorial reredos, c.1945. Principal rafter roof with arch braces. Fittings include small ashlar front with octagonal bowl on traceried stem. Conical wooden cover, 1924. Traceried octagonal wooden pulpit. Timber eagle lectern, 1955. C19 traceried stalls, benches and desks. Monuments include brass with Latin inscription, 1874. Moulded marble and alabaster tablet, 1917.