For this church:
Bulcote Holy Trinity
A single bell is hung in a stone bellcote that rises from the west gable wall. The bell is probably the second oldest artefact attached to the church. It is also recorded as the third oldest church bell in the diocese. Dating from 1450 it was cast at a medieval bell foundry in Leicester and weighs about 56 pounds (20.6 kilos). The inscription around the top of the bell is in Latin and reads;
AVE MARIA GRATIA PLENA
The bell was originally hung in the old church, transferring to the present building when it was completed in 1862. By 2003 the bell’s hanging mechanism needed attention. Messrs Hayward Mills carried out the work which included the replacement of the 1862 oak bell frame, with one made of elm, a new clapper and bell rope plus new bearings were also installed to make ringing easier.
The old oak bell frame and the clapper are now displayed in the church.