For this church:
Clayworth St Peter
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15; restored 1874-75 by John Oldrid Scott. Ashlar, dressed stone, snecked stone, coursed rubble; ashlar dressings. Lead, graduated slate and plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south aisle, south porch, chancel, north chancel chapel, vestry, south chancel chapel. West tower, 2 stages, has plinth, string course, eaves band with masks, 8 gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. West side has restored late C14 triple lancet with panel tracery and hood mould with mask stops. Above, single small lancet. Above, to south, clock. Second stage has 4 C15 double lancet bell openinqs with cusped quatrefoil heads, moulded reveals and coved hood moulds. Nave clerestorey has moulded eaves band and coped gable with cross. On each side, 3 late C14 double lancets with cusped ogee heads and Decorated tracery, in square headed reveals with remains of sill band. North aisle, 2 bays, C15, has coursed rubble foundation, deep moulded plinth, chamfered eaves and coped gable; single corner and single diagonal buttress, 2 set-offs. West end has triple lancet with 4 centred arched head and splayed reveal. North side has to east, a cusped head triple lancet with square headed chamfered reveal. To west, chamfered doorway with 4 centred arched head. South aisle, 3 bays, restored C19, has chamfered plinth, plain eaves, pair of corner buttresses to west, and 2 intermediate buttresses, all single set-off. Coped gable. South side has 3 restored C13 triple lancets with intersecting tracery. West end has a similar C19 window with roll moulded mullions and reveal and hood mould. South porch, C19, timber framed, has chamfered plinth. Entrance has cambered lintel and single unglazed flanking lights. Above, sundial and pierced bargeboards. Low pitched principal rafter roof. South door, C12, has chamfered and rebated reveal and hood mould with beast mask stops. Chancel, single bay, has chamfered plinth and eaves, string course, coped gable with cross. Single buttress to north east, pair of corner buttresses to south east, all gabled and with 2 set-offs. East end has single C19 triple lancet with cusped trefoil heads and intrusive wheel motif, hood mould and mask stops. South side has single C19 triple lancet with intersecting tracery, roll moulded mullions and reveal, and hood mould with mask stops. North aisle chapel, 3 bays, has moulded plinth, chamfered eaves, octagonal chimney on north east corner, single diagonal and 3 intermediate buttresses, 2 set- offs. North side has 3 C14 triple lancets with cusped oqee heads and chamfered and rebated square headed reveals. East end has to right a similar window and to left, C14 style moulded doorway with hood mould. South chancel chapel, C13, has chamfered plinth, pair of corner buttresses to east, one tile hung and one coped gable. To east, C13, triple lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould, and a similar window to south, both restored. Nave north arcade, C12, 2 bays, has chamfered and cove moulded cruciform pier with cruciform base and 5 masks in place of capital. Double chamfered and rebated arches with moulded impost to east, and single masks set above peaks. South arcade, C13, 2 bays, has similar pier with approximate stiff leaf capital. Cove and roll moulded arches with moulded intrados and 2 octagonal responds with plain capitals. East end has traces of former gable. Bands of blind arcading along tops of walls. Very low pitched panelled ceiling with 2 bands of quatrefoil panels. Tower arch, C14, has run out cove and roll moulding. Tower chamber has stained glass west window by Kempe, 1891. North aisle has stained glass east window, 1896. Roof, C15, with crenellated wall plate, moulded timbers and single re-set corbel. South aisle has 4 stained glass windows, 2 of 1876, one undated, one 1897. 2 are by Kempe. Roof and wall plate as north aisle. North aisle chapel has C13 chamfered and rebated arch to west, and C19 timber screen to east, forming vestry. East end has C19 corner fireplace and to south, square aumbry with C18 door and hinges. Westernmost window has stained glass, 1896, and east window has stained glass 1905. C19 king post roof withcurved braces. Chancel arch C13, has cove and roll moulding, and octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Canopied crested timber screen with cross, 8 bays; C19 with earlier fragments. Chancel, 3 bays, has to north 2 chamfered and rebated arches with central pseudo-pier and moulded responds with mask corbels to east. Fresco decoration, c.1903. Remains of string course. To east, a square aumbry. East end has oak panelling and window with stained glass by Kempe, 1875. To south, restored cusped head aumbry. South side has C19 stained glass window and oak panelling. C19 vaulted panelled timber roof. South chancel chapel has to west C15 parclose screen, 3 bays, with chamfered reveals. East end has oak panelling and C19 stained glass window with small stained glass light above. South side has C19 stained glass window. Vaulted panelled timber roof with ogee curved braces. Fittings include C17 panelled oak benches with square newels and peg top finials, some restored. C19 pierced and turned oak choir stalls with 2 Cl7 scrolled ends and poppyheads and 2 C16 plain ends. Traceried panelled C19 pulpit; plain lectern on turned shaft; font with traceried panelled octagonal bowl and stem and matching cover with cross; disused C17 hourglass font. South porch contains C15 octagonal stoup with canted corners. C18 parish chest. C19 large-bore heating system with stacked tube radiators with zigzag ornament. Monuments include large chest tomb with tendril and fleur de lys ornament and panel with Arms, to Humphry Fitzwilliam, 1559. Brass with half-effigy and Arms to John Tonstall, 1630. Good amateur brass with verse and illustration, to John Hartshorne, 1678. Baroque style wall monuments, 1700, 1702, 1720. Aediculed monument with Ionic columns, broken scrolled pediment and Arms, 1722. Draped oval cartouche with Arms, 1732. Adam style marble and slate tablet, 1774. Large marble and slate monument by Westmacott with draped relief panel and above, panel with draped urn, to Francis Otter, 1813. Egyptian style wall monuments, 1831, 1835, 1837 (2). Other wall tablets 1801, 1808, 1823, 1852, 1856, 1864. Brasses and small tablets 1884, 1894, 1909, 1915, 1917, 1936 and later. Rolls of Honour for both World Wars.
Listing NGR: SK7263488427
Monument. c.1821. Ashlar. 2 M to south of south aisle. Chamfered square base with moulded plinth, carrying rebated cornered sarcophagus with pyramid top and ball feet, to Elizabeth Otter.
Listing NGR: SK7263388417
Monument. Early C19. Ashlar. Two and a half metres north of church. Square base, 2 stages, chamfered plinth, truncated obelisk surmounted by draped urn, to Frederick Davenport and others.
Listing NGR: SK7263288438
Boundary wall to Town Street and Church Lane. C19. Rockfaced ashlar and large dressed stone with saddleback coping, incorporating large dressed boulder. Pair of plain ashlar gate piers with wrought iron overthrow and cross, inscribed 'June 1887'. To west, matching wicket gate with similar smaller overthrow. Approx. 200 M long. Included for group value only.