For this church:
Halloughton St James
The two Victorian stained glass windows behind the altar on the east wall of the chancel are by Barraud and Westlake. These are to the memory of the Reverend Richard Barrow (to the left) and his daughter Miss S B Barrow. Richard Barrow was a vicar choral at the Minster for sixty four years and the perpetual curate at Halloughton for fifty eight. He died in February 1838 aged ninety years. His son, William Hodgson Barrow, a Southwell attorney, fought a closely contested election at the age of sixty five to become MP for South Nottinghamshire. Richard Barrow’s daughter died in 1875 aged seventy seven.
The single-light south window of the chancel also contains stained glass in the form of heavily-stylized, repeating foliate patterns within diamond quarries and having a border of alternate plain red quarries and small yellow squares with white diamonds. It appears to be typical late 19th century ‘catalogue’ style glass.
The two windows in the west wall commemorate the generous bequest made in 1977 by the last in a family which had been in Halloughton for over a hundred years - Miss Ellen “Nellie” Gash who had lived at Keeper’s Cottage. “Known, loved and respected by all”. One depicts the mother church, St Mary at Southwell, along with a scallop shell, the symbol associated with St James. The other shows an oak tree and axe, symbols of the occupation of the father of Nellie and Annie, George Gash, who was the woodsman for Halloughton Wood. These were executed by Chapel Studio, Kirk Langley and put in place in 1980.