For this church:
Core fabric mainly C13-C14
Restoration between 1857 and 1875
South doorway, mid-later C12
Nave, N. and S. Aisles, chancel, C13-14
South transept, arch C13; windows C15
North transept, early-mid C14
South porch, C14
Clerestory, mid late C15
Tower, C13 with belfry and C15; buttressed 1713
Significant Interior Features
Tower arch and chancel arch late C13; note trumpet stops of chancel arch (1280 - 1300)
Carved heads on south wall of nave; possibly roof brackets before being moved to present position, central head is of a muzzled bear (C12 - C13)
Five single lancet windows, typical of C13
East window C14
Three-light window in south wall C14
S. arcade : 2 round pillars with square plinths and octagonal waterleaf capitals (1200); nail heads on trumpet stop on west wall
Tomb recess C14
N. arcade, 2 octagonal pillars, moulded capitals, c1225-1250; note parts of original wall C12 in westernmost pillar
Traces of buttress of pre-C13 tower on west wall
Carved corbel head C13
Arch late C13; note keeling on pillars
Tomb recess 1280-1290
Wooden roof 1450-1500; note carved bosses including green man
Tomb recess 1280-1300
Aumbry C14; note reused C13 tomb marker
Rood stairs C13
(1) Head of slab re-used in paving immediately outside and to the east of the threshold of the south porch (the church guide mentions another section of the same slab re-used in the same paving – not seen). Relief design, round-leaf bracelet cross with disc at top of shaft.
(2) Intact slab lying loose at east end of south aisle, carved in bold relief. Eight-armed cross with a ring of round-leaf bracelets, with disc at top of shaft and stepped calvary base.
(3) Part of head of slab e-used as east side of aumbry in north wall of north transept, cut into by grooves of rebate of door and a horizontal shelf. Simple but well-executed design, incised; round-leaf bracelet cross with disc at top of shaft.
Descriptions and drawings of the cross slabs courtesy of Peter Ryder.
It is stated by Ewan Christian that C15 timbers from the roof of the chancel removed during the restoration were used in the choir pews.
Steel low-sided frame with cast-iron headstocks and ball bearings 1932.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
There have been no known archaeological excavations within the church or churchyard.
The footprint of the medieval church has survived intact, and the two principal phases of restoration in the 1850s and 1870s appear mainly to have impacted on the above-ground fabric, though not to the serious detriment of the medieval work. As such, this church is likely to retain complex and high-quality archaeological evidence from the C12th or earlier through to the C19th. Some reused pre-Conquest material has been identified in the structure of the north arcade.
The surrounding churchyard appears largely intact from its original design, with some extention to the south-east, and is expected to contain a large number of burials from the medieval period onwards. There are some good C18th grave-markers and at least one intact medieval grave-marker. The adjacent moated manor house may yield some domestic intrusion into the churchyard, especially on the south side where it is adjacent.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard and surrounding area is considered to be VERY HIGH; below the present interior floors of the church is considered to be HIGH-VERY HIGH. The standing fabric of the building appears to be complex, multiphase and the archaeology in the standing fabric is considered to be VERY HIGH.
Exterior:Burial numbers expected to be high, intact, and multiperiod. Grave-markers are high-quality and important. Domestic material may exist especially near the south boundary.
Interior:The interior is complex and multiphase with evidence from the C12th onwards, and some reused pre-Conquest material. Below-ground deposits are expected to be complex and multiphase medieval with the possibility of pre-Conquest stratigraphy.