For this church:
Norwell St Laurence
There is a stone War Memorial in the shape of a 12ft (3.7m) high runic cross in the churchyard to the west of the church, overlooking the Cromwell Road to the north. On the north side of the memorial is a list of those who fell in the First World War, and on the south side those who fell in the Second World War with the addition of one who fell in Malaya in 1952.
The inscriptions read as follows:
Inside the church there are wooden boards commemorating all those who served in the two World Wars indicating which of them had fallen.
First World War Roll
Second World War Roll
Two boards similar to these were originally put in the Methodist Chapel at the same time as they were put in the church. They were removed from the Methodist Chapel when it was closed in 1988/9 and can now be found in the entrance to Norwell Village Hall. A discrepancy which has not been resolved is that a contemporary report in the Newark Advertiser stated that the Second World War board in the Methodist chapel started with the words ‘To the honour of those who served the village, and in particular those who gave their lives, this tablet is dedicated’. This is not the wording on the board in the Village Hall.
There was a public meeting in Norwell in August 1919 to decide upon a fitting memorial for those who had fallen in the Great War. It was not until February 1921 that there was agreement on the form that the memorial should take. A stone cross was made by G Brown and Son of Newark at a cost of £150. The cost was raised by public subscription. It was also agreed that wooden scrolls should be made for the Church and Methodist Chapel.
The Dedication service took place on 17 September 1921. The address was given by the vicar of Norwell, the Revd B S Ainley, and the lesson was read by the Superintendent Methodist minister, the Revd G H Pickering. The scouts formed an enclosure around the cross with their staves whilst the ceremony of unveiling the cross was carried out by Lt Col R F B Hodgkinson who loosened the Union Jack which covered the memorial. Bugles were sounded.
The memorials for the fallen in the 1939-45 War were dedicated in April 1950 in both the church and the chapel. The service in the chapel was conducted by the Revd F Onyett and Councillor D P Blatherwick of Newark; the service in the church by the vicar, the Revd Henry Rymer Heritage and the Archdeacon of Newark, the Ven F H West.
In addition to the principal War Memorial in the churchyard, and the two Rolls of Honour, there are two memorial plaques in the church to individuals who gave their lives during the First World War. These are monuments to:
James Adamson and Frank Greasley, both of whom were killed in the Second World War, have memorial headstones in the churchyard.