For this church:
The organ that now resides in St. Andrew's had been originally built for and installed at Nottingham St. Mary's, where it remained for the best part of a century. It is believed that around 1776, Samuel Wise, the organist of St. Mary's, succeeded in persuading the church officials to commission a new organ, to be built by the renowned organ builder, John Snetzler. Inscribed on the great soundboard, which is mounted to the side of the organ (now in St Andrew's), is the following legend: ‘John Snetzler fecit Londini 1776’. The organ is said to have originally cost £800 and allegedly King George III provided the timber for the instrument; however, no evidence has been found to support these claims. The organ was unveiled at St. Mary Church in June 1777.
By the mid 1860s the instrument was considered by some to be in need of modernising. The local firm Lloyd and Dudgeon was employed to clean, modify and re-erect it in the north aisle of St. Mary's. Lloyd and Dudgeon proposed further alterations; however, it was discovered that as part of the work, they had removed the four lowest pedal pipes without having been sanctioned to do so. Whilst the pipes were reinstated and the account of £122 12s. 0d. was settled, the annual report of 1867 stated that; ‘the organ in its present position is almost useless; it cannot be used with the choir and we never can have really effective music, until the organ is erected in the Chancel. This could best I believe be done, by placing the machinery and the swell organ over the vestry’.
In 1871 it was arranged that the organ, which by this point had been rebuilt several times, be sold to St. Andrew's. However, when St. Andrew's first opened in October 1871, it lacked an organ and in the absence of such an instrument, a harmonium was used to provide musical accompaniment to the hymns at the consecration ceremony. The aforementioned harmonium was used until the Snetzler organ from St. Mary's was acquired later that year at a cost of £150. The ‘excellent acoustic properties’ of the newly consecrated church were commented upon in the Nottingham Journal on 10 October 1871. Later that year, a Snetzler organ and 17th-century oak lectern were transferred from St. Mary's to St Andrew’s.
In 1876 the Snetzler organ was re-built by Bishop & Starr at a cost of £400. In 1898 the organ underwent a ‘complete restoration and extension’ by the Huddersfield-based organ builders Peter Conacher & Co., and was said to have been carried out in ‘the most satisfactory manner’. In addition to the restoration a case designed by the architect and diocesan surveyor of the Archdeaconry of Nottingham, Arthur Ernest Heazell of Messrs. Heazell and Sons, was built to house the organ. The total cost of works was £730. A bazaar held in the Mechanics' Lecture Hall in November 1899 helped to raise £470 towards the organ rebuilding fund.
During the 1905 extension of St. Andrew's, the organ was moved from the ground floor to a purpose-built loft. Rebuilding the organ whilst retaining the original Snetzler stops was carried out by Charles Lloyd in 1914 at a cost of £500. In 1920 a new organ case of carved and panelled oak was fitted. The case and also the carved oak chancel stalls, which had been installed the previous year, were the gift of Richard Wilkinson to commemorate fifty years of married life. During the 50th anniversary celebrations of 1921 the organ was cleaned and tuned by Charles Lloyd. It was re-built again in 1934 by Hill, Norman & Beard. In 1970 the Snetzler organ was stated to require £2,000-3,000 of restoration work; however, it is uncertain whether these works, envisaged as part of the centenary celebrations, were carried out.
The National Pipe Organ Register provides the following information which dates from 1932 survey:
Nottinghamshire Nottingham, St. Andrew, Mansfield Road [A00040]
1914 Lloyd & Co
1926 Roger Yates
Position N Transept gallery
Department and Stop list
Swell to Pedal
Swell to Great
Swell to Choir
Swell unison off
Choir to Great
Choir to Pedal
Choir unison off
Great to Pedal
Great unison off
Solo to Pedal
Solo to Great
Solo Sub Octave
Gt/Ped pistons coupled (rocking tablet) Tremulants to Swell (pedal), Choir (rocking tab), Solo 3 thumb pistons to Choir 5 thumb pistons to Great 5 thumb pistons to Swell (one of each adjustable) 3 thumb pistons to Pedal 3 toe pistons to Great 3 toe pistons to Swell Reversible piston: Gt to Ped
The electric blower was added in 1928 Wind Pressures - Solo 7" Tuba Magna 15" Pipe derivation: s Snetzler c Conacher l Lloyd y Yates b Bishop