Caunton
St Andrew

Glass

The windows were restored at the whole church restoration by Ewan Christian starting in 1869. In most cases the original style of the window was retained. Some of the plain glass appears to have been reused; the old diamond quarries are a greenish colour whilst the rectangular quarries of new glass around the edges of the windows are clear. All the stained glass has been inserted since the restoration.

Chancel

1

East window

Triple light with cusped ogee heads and decorated tracery. The glass was inserted in the early 1870s. It was designed by J W Powell and made by J Hardman of Birmingham. It has been incorrectly attributed to Michael Halliday or Henry Holiday. It is probably a copy of a medieval design.

The centre light depicts the crucifixion, surmounted by Christ in majesty, with Christ as the Good Shepherd below.

The left light shows the Last Supper, with a priest celebrating the Eucharist. The right light depicts Christ with the four evangelists, with the sacrament of Baptism.

Chancel South Side

Four lancet windows in the chancel are in 12th to 13th Century style. The stained glass was produced in the same workshop and was inserted between 1880 and 1890. The four evangelists are represented.

2

Depicting St Luke with his symbol, the winged ox, and the words The beloved physician.

Dedication on a brass plate inserted into the window sill below:

To God and in memory of a
beloved friend John Leech this window is offered by
Samuel Reynolds Hole, priest.

John Leech was the famous Punch artist; Dean Hole helped him with his cartoons.

3

Depicting St John with his symbol, the eagle, and the words Whom Jesus loved.

Dedication on a brass plate inserted into the window sill below:

To the glory of God and in memory of Frances Emeline Barnaby who was baptised in this church Dec 20 AD1868 and died Jan 31 AD1871 this window is dedicated by her parents ‘as first fruits for God and the Lamb’ Rev XIV 4
4

A restored double light. 1873, depicting Mary Magdalen and the Risen Christ. The glass has rather crude colours and there is no indication of the maker.

The text, spanning both lights, reads:

The Lord is risen indeed Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia
Touch me not for I am not yet ascended

Dedication on a brass plate inserted into the window sill below:

To the Glory of God in thankful remembrance of his mercy this window is offered by William & Ellen Cook AD 1873

South Aisle

5
Detail - The
Bristowe arms

East end of south aisle. 14th Century triple light, with cusped round heads and decorated tracery. Glass inserted after 1897, depicting Mercy, Peace and Justice. No indication of maker. Note lilies with clear glass behind.

The text below the left-hand and right-hand figures reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN LOVING MEMORY
OF SAMVEL BOTELER BRISTOWE,
Q.C. AND JVDGE OF COVNTY
COVRTS, ELDEST SON OF
SAMVEL ELLIS BRISTOWE
  OF BEESTHORPE HALL
IN THIS PARISH. BORN 5TH
OCTOBER MDCCCXXII, DIED
5TH MARCH MDCCCXCVII
& BURIED IN HIS VAULT IN
THE NW CORNER OF THIS CH’YARD

Below the central figure is the Bristowe arms, with the motto:

SPLENDENS ET CRESCENS

6

14th Century double light with cusped ogee heads and decorated tracery. Glass inserted after 1911, made by Dudley Forsyth, London, depicting St John the Evangelist and St John the Baptist.

The text, spanning both lights, reads:

To the Glory of GOD and
CHARLES JOHN BRISTOWE MA
Cambridge and first Director
Nottinghamshire, second son of
born 29TH July 1862
and buried in the family
“BEING DEAD HE
  in loving memory of
Scholar of Trinity Hall
of Education for the county of
Samuel Boteler Bristowe Q.C.,
died 20TH July, 1911,
vault in this churchyard.
YET SPEAKETH”
J Dudley Forsyth, London
7

Similar to Window 6. Glass inserted after 1893, probably 1900, depicting St George and the dragon across both lights, with sun and moon in top sections. Arms bottom left

Dedication across both lights:

BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
HENRY FOX BRISTOWE KT
DUCHY OF LANCASTER
YOUNGER SON OF
OF BEESTHORPE HALL
HIS WIFE ONLY DAUGHTER
CAPT 1ST FOOTGUARDS &
BORN February 12 1825

 

FOR THEY SHALL SEE GOD

AND IN PIOUS MEMORY OF
VICE-CHANCELLOR OF THE
BORN 8TH MAY 1824 DIED MAY 1893
SAMUEL ELLIS BRISTOWE
IN THIS PARISH AND OF SELINA
OF THE HON: ORLANDO BRIDGEMAN
OF LADY SELINA BRIDGMAN
DIED MAY 1886

Heaton Butler & Bayne
8

14th Century triple light. Plain glass. Clear tiles round edge, diamond shaped tiles of greenish glass inside. It is thought that the latter was old glass from the church reinserted in the window. (Note the similar glass in Norwell Church. Ewan Christian gave specific instructions for this to be done at Norwell in his 1874 restoration there.)

Tower

9

Window at 1st floor level (ringing gallery), visible from nave. 15th Century triple light. Glass inserted 1905, depicting three saints, each with an angel above.

In the left light is Saint Elizabeth of Hungary (with roses and lilies). Text reads:

The desert shall rejoice and bloom as the rose

Below is a panel with a saltire (St Andrew’s cross) in red on a white ground and charged with a shell.

In the middle is depicted Saint Andrew (with a book and diagonal cross). Text reads:

Right dear in the sight of the Lord is the death of his Saints

In the right is Saint Dorothy (with a spray of roses and an apple), and below is a panel depicting the Hole arms.

Spanning the three lights at the bottom is the inscription:

To the glory of God and in loving memory of Samuel Reynolds Hole DD many years vicar of this church
and late Dean of Rochester this window is offered by parishioners and friends 1905

The inscriptions on the window panels, and particularly the depictions of roses, commemorate the Dean’s passion for them.

10West end of north aisle. 15th Century restored, flat-headed. The north wall was completely rebuilt in 1869. Triple light, with cusped heads and decorated tracery. Clear and green glass. (see window 8 above)

11Double light, plain glass.

12,13
14,15
As window 10.

Chancel - North Side

Windows 16 and 17 match windows 2 and 3 opposite.

16

Depicting St Matthew with his symbol, the winged man, and the words He left all and followed him.

Dedication on a brass plate inserted into the window sill below.

To God and in memory of a
beloved sister Sara this window is offered by
Samuel Reynolds Hole, priest
17

Depicting St Mark with his symbol, the winged lion, and the words John whose surname was Mark.

Dedication on a brass plate inserted into the window sill below.

To God and in memory of a
beloved sister Mary Elizabeth this window is offered
by Samuel Reynolds Hole, priest

Clerestory above the Nave

To north and south four 15th Century double light windows with cove mullions, coved and rebated square-headed reveals. They are modest in scale, compared with those, for example, in neighbouring Norwell. Clear and green glass, as described above for window 8.

With thanks to Tom Errington for help with the description of the glass.