For this church:
East Bingham Deanery
The site of St Peter’s has been a place for worship for 1300 years, and a Saxon church is mentioned in Domesday. This church apparently survived until the thirteenth century as there is no architectural evidence of Saxon or Norman building. In the thirteenth century the church was entirely rebuilt with aid from the Chapter of Rouen Cathedral. The chancel is the only remaining feature of this rebuild.
The fourteenth century saw the enlargement of the nave undertaken by the Caltofts and the founding of a chantry by William Dayncourt. Further work in the nave was undertaken by the addition of clerestory windows in the fifteenth century. No work was done on the fabric after the fifteenth century, and by the later part of the eighteenth century it was very dilapidated, so much so that in 1778 the tower was rebuilt and the roof replaced.
New windows were put in the chancel in 1862, and in 1901 a two-stage restoration under C E Ponting, FSA was started, and completed in 1914.
Particular thanks to John Kitchen for research on this entry