For this church:
East Drayton St Peter
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. Late C12, C13, C15, restored 1857 by Ecclesiastical Commissioners, nave and aisles restored 1873, nave roof restored 1982. Ashlar and dressed coursed rubble. Metal roof to nave, lead to chancel and slate to aisles. Tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and chancel. All parapets embattled. Diagonally buttressed tower set on a plinth with 2 heavily moulded bands over, of 4 stages with a string course at each juncture. The parapet has 7 remaining crocketed pinnacles of 8 with 8 gargoyles under. West doorway with moulded pointed arch, hood mould and remnants of label stops. Above is a single arched 3 light window with hood mould and worn label stops. In the bell chamber are 4 arched 2 light openings with panel tracery. There are single clock faces to the south and east sides and 3 small rectangular stair lights to the south. Abutting the north wall is an ashlar lean-to. The west wall of the north aisle is buttressed including 2 large coursed rubble sloping buttresses. There are 3 arched 3 light windows with cusping, the right window replacing a doorway. There is a single similar window in the east wall and 4 similar windows in the clerestory. The buttressed north chancel has a string course which extends to the east wall, it is broken by the buttresses and the late C12 chamfered arched doorway with imposts, dogtooth hood mould and worn label stops. To the left is a single arched 3 light window with cusping. The east wall has a similar larger 4 light window. The south chancel is set on a plinth and has 2 similar 3 light windows. The east wall of the south aisle has a similar, smaller 3 light window. The diagonally buttressed south aisle is on a plinth with moulded band over. There are 3 similar 3 light windows. Between the 2 western most windows is the diagonally buttressed and embattled porch which is set on a plinth with 3 heavy moulded bands. The buttresses rise to crocketed pinnacles, 6 in all, and are decorated part way up with single rostra. There are single gargoyles to the east and west sides. The pointed and moulded arched entrance has a hood mould over with worn angel label stops and finial. The guttering over terminates in worn beast label stops. The inner porch roof is supported on moulded ribs, in turn supported on corbels with decorative stone carvings under, some in the form of human heads and animals. In the south wall is an ogee arched niche with finial, over is a hood mould and worn label stops. Under is a small niche consisting of an ogee and inverted ogee arch. The round moulded arched inner doorway has a wooden door. The west wall of the south aisle has an arched 3 light window with cusping. There are 4 similar windows in the clerestory. Interior. C13 4 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches with broach stops supported on octagonal piers and responds with moulded capitals, the south east respond has an embattled capital. There are hood moulds over on the nave sides, that to the northern arcade having 2 label stops. The moulded tower arch has a single ashlar carved angel holding a coloured shield in the apex. The inner chamfer of the double chamfered chancel arch is supported on corbels. Either side of the chancel arch are 2 angels with a further single angel in the apex - all similar to that above the tower arch. The south chancel wall has a rectangular piscina. The south aisle south wall has an ogee arched piscina. The contemporary nave roof has carved and painted decorative bosses, including some with grotesque faces. The north aisle roof also has some decorative bosses. The C17 altar rails have twisted balusters. The fine C15 canopied and vaulted screen is decorated with bosses, trefoils and daggers. The remaining furniture is C19 and C20 with an octagonal font. In the nave is a C14 floor slab decorated with a stylised cross. Removed from the roof is a lead sheet, primitively etched, depicting a house and dated “RH 1792".
Pair of head stones. 1725 and 1735. Ashlar. Rectangular with curved, shaped heads. The stone on the left is smaller and more elaborately curved. Inscribed “Here lieth the body of Sulanna the daughter of John and Ann Woodall who died May the 27th 1725 aged 15 years .... all my friends.” The stone to the right inscribed “Here lieth the body of John the son of William and Mary Gabb ... as who departed this life July the 9th the year of our Lord 1735 and in the 3rd year of his age ...” remaining inscription illegible. Included for group value only.