St Michael and All Angels
Monuments and Memorials
Sarah Norton (died 1867):
TO THE MEMORY OF
WIDOW OF THE LATE
WILLIAM FLETCHER NORTON NORTON, ESQ,
OF ELTON MANOR, NOTTS.
ON THE 15TH JANUARY 1867;
IN THE 79TH YEAR OF HER AGE.
Ursula Norton (died 1845):
|DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF
DECEASED JANUARY 18TH 1845;
COHEIRESS OF CORNELIUS LAUNDER, ESQ,
AND THE BELOVED WIFE OF W.F.N. NORTON, ESQ,
WHO GRATEFULLY RECORDS THEIR
LONG CONTINUED HAPPINESS.
A floor stone, now standing upright against the north wall, commemorates Langford Collin who died in 1766:
|Chancel floor stone now upright:
lieth Interr’d the Remains
of LANGFORD COLLIN Esqr
who Departed this
life August the, 2nd, 1766,
AGED 66 YEARS.
William Fletcher Norton Norton (died 1865):
|TO THE MEMORY OF
W. F. N. NORTON, ESQRE
OF ELTON MANOR, NOTTS;
WHO DIED, NOVEMBER 15TH 1865,
AGED 84 YEARS.
“BEATI PACIFICE QUONIAM FILII DEI VOCABUNTUR.”
ST MATTHEW V. 9.
THIS TABLET WAS ERECTED BY HIS
AFFECTIONATE NEPHEW, COUNT DE PULLY.
Francis Launder (died 1822):
TO THE MEMORY OF
DECEASED MARCH 14TH 1822;
IN TESTIMONY OF AFFECTIONATE REGARD
BY W.F.N. AND URSULA NORTON.
The monument is by Joseph Hall the Younger of Derby.
At the west end of the south wall is a monument to Amy Pinder who died in 1922:
the sweetest memory of
AMY, THE BELOVED WIFE OF
R. G. PINDER,
OF ELTON RECTORY,
AND THE DARLING MOTHER OF
KATHLEEN AND EVELYN,
She passed to her everlasting
rest suddenly on the
30th June 1922.
There are two memorials on the west wall of the nave.
South of the door to the tower is a memorial to William Noel Parr and his wife, Hilda Mary Grace. They both died in 1967.
North of the door is a monument to Charles Mackie (died 2005) and his wife, Margaret (died 2004):
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
CHARLES GORDON MACKIE TD.DL.LLD
AND HIS WIFE
MARGARET (PEGGY) GEORGINA
(NEE KOEBEL) OF ELTON OLD RECTORY
CHARLES MACKIE WAS TREASURER AND
CHURCHWARDEN OF THIS CHURCH FOR MANY YEARS
TREASURER OF NOTTINGHAM UNIVERSITY FOR 30 YEARS
HIGH SHERIFF OF NOTTINGHAMSHIRE 1977 – 1978
PEGGY WAS P.C.C. SECRETARY FOR OVER 20 YEARS
BOTH WERE TIRELESSLY IN THEIR SUPPORT FOR THIS
CHURCH AND VILLAGE UNTIL THEIR
DEATHS IN 2005 AND 2004 RESPECTIVELY